Re: Re: [Hammock Camping] GPS UTM coordinates

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Wow Dick thanks. I'll check it out this weekend.

      Tom
      From: Dick Matthews <dick@...>
      Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:11:31 EDT
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] GPS UTM coordinates

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        OK. Let me think about it. I have some stuff at home (I'm not there now
        unfortunatly, but will be Fri afternoon.) I have some notes about UTM from
        some old SAR stuff.

        Most of the MiI I know uses MGRS (Military Grid Refernce System)so make sure
        you have the same coords.

        Off hand I would think that each box could be (should be) broken down into
        10ths. Try dividing it out by ten.

        I have some emails on it I can search now. BRB

        Brian

        On 9/1/05, tjarrell@... <tjarrell@...> wrote:

        > Brian,
        >
        > Thanks for the offer, but the Garmin will accept UTM coordinates, that
        > isn't the problem. The problem is trying to determine an accurate UTM
        > coordinate inside the grid reference box.
        >
        > Say a peak like the "Priest" is inside a grid bounded 40-45 on the left
        > and right, and 85-90 bottom to top. I can't figure out how to measure the
        > distance from the left side and up from the bottom to come up with the UTM
        > coordinates. If it was a LAT/LONG grid I could measure the physical distance
        > and use LAT scale to calculate the LAT/LONG. I learned here at work that
        > LAT/LONG isn't accurate enough, so the armed forces have gone to UTM with
        > the goal of getting down to 'rain drop' accuracy. (Granted the hole will be
        > bigger than the drop, but boy can we measure accurately - smile.)

      • RevT
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Tom,

          Try this site as well. It explains UTM and how it converts. Let me
          know if that is not what you are looking for and I'll dig some more.

          If you have any questions I can try to help. I play with MGRS and
          Lat/Lon. I dont like UTM all that much.

          http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/

          Brian
        • RevT
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Tom,

            Also on that site I found some tools you can print. It has the
            1:62,500 scale for you.

            http://www.maptools.com/FreeTools/UTMtools.html

            HTHs,
            Brian
          • redhawk
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              Try http://maptools.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                Thank you very much everyone. I'm away from my home this weekend (lucky to have bought my tickets months ago), but I look forward to checking out the sites you all have passed along.

                I knew someone in this group would have the answer - and you apparently do.

                Again, thanks!

                Tom

                From: RevT <brian.tannehill@...>
                Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:34:44 EDT