Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Ray,

      To the question of a Silk Hammock. The silk hammock
      Ed Speer made for me (I think it must now be about 2
      years ago) is still doing fine. Sorry to hear about
      the mysterious hole in yours. I plan to make another
      one out of lighter silk. My weight is down to under
      150 pound so I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard
      silk.

      I made my first alcohol soda can stove a few days
      ago. I went with your YACC stove. It was very easy
      to make and burned OK. Since then however I have
      changed to a different design idea and yesterday stove
      #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
      3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
      stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
      test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
      of my kitchen.

      I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
      years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
      idea. That stove was less than 8oz and really burned
      great. The weight does not count the battery used for
      the small fan.

      Bill in Texas

      --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1"
      > <dlfrost@a...>
      > wrote:
      > >... Is
      > > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than
      > nylon or poly?
      >
      > Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it
      > dries very
      > quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I
      > notice this when
      > packing early on a cool morning and there is some
      > condensation
      > inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for
      > that).
      >
      > >Now
      > > that you've been using it a while, how's it
      > holding up to wear and
      > > tear?
      >
      > The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem
      > I've had is
      > that some substance dripped on the silk (bird
      > droppings?) and looks
      > like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric.
      > The fabric
      > darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a
      > couple of spots.
      > I suppose it could also have been an actual burn,
      > not sure...
      > Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since
      > silk sews very
      > easily, it seems like this could be effectively
      > patched.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
        > I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard silk.

        Wow! that is really light stuff. It will be interesting to see how
        it holds up.

        > ... stove #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
        > 3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
        > stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
        > test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
        > of my kitchen.

        how much fuel does it burn to do this? Any pictures of the stove?

        > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
        > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
        > idea.
        be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves. He
        had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
        purchased a JetBoil.
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
          > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
          > > idea.
          > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
          He
          > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
          > purchased a JetBoil.

          I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
          small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
          efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
          poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
          already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
          getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
          up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
          recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

          Doug Frost
        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
            design with some different materials and the new stove
            should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
            count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
            the battery for my LED.

            My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
            designed to use modern combustion theory and
            techniques.

            Bill in Texas

            --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
            > Garlington"
            > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
            > few
            > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
            > design
            > > > idea.
            > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
            > his wood stoves.
            > He
            > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
            > this, but I have
            > > purchased a JetBoil.
            >
            > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
            > that there's a
            > small army of people out in the world working on how
            > to make cheap,
            > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
            > third-world
            > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
            > calculations
            > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
            > backpackers is
            > getting the weight down while retaining the
            > efficiency. (If I come
            > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
            > any
            > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
            > best?
            >
            > Doug Frost

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
              Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
              for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

              Bill in Houston

              <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
              > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
              > design with some different materials and the new stove
              > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
              > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
              > the battery for my LED.
              >
              > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
              > designed to use modern combustion theory and
              > techniques.
              >
              > Bill in Texas
              >
              > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
              > > Garlington"

            • quiltpatti
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                Hi wood burners,
                My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
                similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
                with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
                and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
                bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
                piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
                put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
                air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
                Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
                chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
                the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
                hike might need to be replaced periodically.
                Patti

                wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                > > > idea.
                > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
                stoves.
                > He
                > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                > > purchased a JetBoil.
                >
                > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
                > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
                cheap,
                > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
                come
                > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
                >
                > Doug Frost
              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                  about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

                  so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

                  the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

                  the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

                  but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

                  i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

                  Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                  My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                  design with some different materials and the new stove
                  should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                  count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                  the battery for my LED.

                  My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                  designed to use modern combustion theory and
                  techniques.

                  Bill in Texas

                  Sandy Kramer
                • zippydooda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                    HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                    Bill in Houston

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>