Re: [Hammock Camping] GPS UTM coordinates

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      Tom,

      What coords are they in? UTM?

      If you know they are 5km then it should also be marked up the
      side/across the top in that coord system. My UTM grid overlay has 10
      ticks between each coord. It basically makes a 10km x 10 km box.

      If you have time, I'll be home tommorow. Send me the coords off line,
      I have a Topo program that I can overlay grids of Lat/Lon, UTM, MGRS,
      whatever and it will give you the coords, etc. I can turn it around in
      a day.

      Search online as well I saw some tools you can print out for the
      different grid sizes and you can use them.

      Brian

    • tjarrell@cox.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Brian,

        Thanks for the offer, but the Garmin will accept UTM coordinates, that isn't the problem. The problem is trying to determine an accurate UTM coordinate inside the grid reference box.

        Say a peak like the "Priest" is inside a grid bounded 40-45 on the left and right, and 85-90 bottom to top. I can't figure out how to measure the distance from the left side and up from the bottom to come up with the UTM coordinates. If it was a LAT/LONG grid I could measure the physical distance and use LAT scale to calculate the LAT/LONG. I learned here at work that LAT/LONG isn't accurate enough, so the armed forces have gone to UTM with the goal of getting down to 'rain drop' accuracy. (Granted the hole will be bigger than the drop, but boy can we measure accurately - smile.)

        I can measure miles/meters from the edges of the grid, but how does that convert to UTM I haven't figured out yet.

        Thanks all for the help. The answer is out there.

        Tom
        From: RevT <brian.tannehill@...>
        Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 01:00:36 EDT
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] GPS UTM coordinates
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Tom,

          Go to this site:

          http://www.topozone.com/

          Click on:
          View Maps
          UTM
          Enter a UTM near where you want the waypoint.
          Click on where you want the waypoint.
          The UTM is now displayed

          Dick Matthews

        • tjarrell@cox.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Wow Dick thanks. I'll check it out this weekend.

            Tom
            From: Dick Matthews <dick@...>
            Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:11:31 EDT
            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

          • RevT
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              OK. Let me think about it. I have some stuff at home (I'm not there now
              unfortunatly, but will be Fri afternoon.) I have some notes about UTM from
              some old SAR stuff.

              Most of the MiI I know uses MGRS (Military Grid Refernce System)so make sure
              you have the same coords.

              Off hand I would think that each box could be (should be) broken down into
              10ths. Try dividing it out by ten.

              I have some emails on it I can search now. BRB

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                Tom,

                Try this site as well. It explains UTM and how it converts. Let me
                know if that is not what you are looking for and I'll dig some more.

                If you have any questions I can try to help. I play with MGRS and
                Lat/Lon. I dont like UTM all that much.

                http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/

                Brian
              • RevT
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Tom,

                  Also on that site I found some tools you can print. It has the
                  1:62,500 scale for you.

                  http://www.maptools.com/FreeTools/UTMtools.html

                  HTHs,
                  Brian
                • redhawk
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Try http://maptools.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Thank you very much everyone. I'm away from my home this weekend (lucky to have bought my tickets months ago), but I look forward to checking out the sites you all have passed along.

                      I knew someone in this group would have the answer - and you apparently do.

                      Again, thanks!

                      Tom

                      From: RevT <brian.tannehill@...>
                      Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:34:44 EDT