GPS UTM coordinates

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
      I need some help with new technology. I was given a Garmin eTrek and plan on using it next week on the AT (at the Priest) here in Central Virginia. The PATC maps I bought have the GPS grid laid on them at 5KM increments. How do I determine accurate coordiantes in order to enter waypoints?

      I posed this question to my co-workers (all retired military) and they used in the service an overlay tool that had the grid broken down into smaller blocks. All you do is lay the tool (grid) over the map and count off the numbers until you have your waypoint. Due to the scale of the maps (1:62,500) none of their tools will work.

      I'm trying to make my own tool by hand drawing lines inside a document protector, but physically the nearly 3 inch (77mm) grids don't divide by 5 very well. I'm sure I'd get with throwing distance to my points, but if someone has already broken the code then why reinvent the wheel?

      I flew all over the world using lat/long, but there are no lat/long marks on the maps so I can't use a translation program.

      You all are the masters of the quick, easy and simple solution - so someone should have run this issue to ground already.

      Thanks,
      Tom in Virginia Beach
    • RevT
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
        Tom,

        What coords are they in? UTM?

        If you know they are 5km then it should also be marked up the
        side/across the top in that coord system. My UTM grid overlay has 10
        ticks between each coord. It basically makes a 10km x 10 km box.

        If you have time, I'll be home tommorow. Send me the coords off line,
        I have a Topo program that I can overlay grids of Lat/Lon, UTM, MGRS,
        whatever and it will give you the coords, etc. I can turn it around in
        a day.

        Search online as well I saw some tools you can print out for the
        different grid sizes and you can use them.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
          Brian,

          Thanks for the offer, but the Garmin will accept UTM coordinates, that isn't the problem. The problem is trying to determine an accurate UTM coordinate inside the grid reference box.

          Say a peak like the "Priest" is inside a grid bounded 40-45 on the left and right, and 85-90 bottom to top. I can't figure out how to measure the distance from the left side and up from the bottom to come up with the UTM coordinates. If it was a LAT/LONG grid I could measure the physical distance and use LAT scale to calculate the LAT/LONG. I learned here at work that LAT/LONG isn't accurate enough, so the armed forces have gone to UTM with the goal of getting down to 'rain drop' accuracy. (Granted the hole will be bigger than the drop, but boy can we measure accurately - smile.)

          I can measure miles/meters from the edges of the grid, but how does that convert to UTM I haven't figured out yet.

          Thanks all for the help. The answer is out there.

          Tom
          From: RevT <brian.tannehill@...>
          Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 01:00:36 EDT
          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] GPS UTM coordinates
        • Dick Matthews
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
            Tom,

            Go to this site:

            http://www.topozone.com/

            Click on:
            View Maps
            UTM
            Enter a UTM near where you want the waypoint.
            Click on where you want the waypoint.
            The UTM is now displayed

            Dick Matthews

          • tjarrell@cox.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
              Wow Dick thanks. I'll check it out this weekend.

              Tom
              From: Dick Matthews <dick@...>
              Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:11:31 EDT
              To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

            • RevT
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                OK. Let me think about it. I have some stuff at home (I'm not there now
                unfortunatly, but will be Fri afternoon.) I have some notes about UTM from
                some old SAR stuff.

                Most of the MiI I know uses MGRS (Military Grid Refernce System)so make sure
                you have the same coords.

                Off hand I would think that each box could be (should be) broken down into
                10ths. Try dividing it out by ten.

                I have some emails on it I can search now. BRB

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Tom,

                  Try this site as well. It explains UTM and how it converts. Let me
                  know if that is not what you are looking for and I'll dig some more.

                  If you have any questions I can try to help. I play with MGRS and
                  Lat/Lon. I dont like UTM all that much.

                  http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/

                  Brian
                • RevT
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Tom,

                    Also on that site I found some tools you can print. It has the
                    1:62,500 scale for you.

                    http://www.maptools.com/FreeTools/UTMtools.html

                    HTHs,
                    Brian
                  • redhawk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Try http://maptools.com

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Thank you very much everyone. I'm away from my home this weekend (lucky to have bought my tickets months ago), but I look forward to checking out the sites you all have passed along.

                        I knew someone in this group would have the answer - and you apparently do.

                        Again, thanks!

                        Tom

                        From: RevT <brian.tannehill@...>
                        Date: 2005/09/01 Thu PM 03:34:44 EDT