Re: [Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1 5:25 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
      wrote:
      >... Is
      > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly?

      Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it dries very
      quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I notice this when
      packing early on a cool morning and there is some condensation
      inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for that).

      >Now
      > that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
      > tear?

      The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem I've had is
      that some substance dripped on the silk (bird droppings?) and looks
      like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric. The fabric
      darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a couple of spots.
      I suppose it could also have been an actual burn, not sure...
      Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since silk sews very
      easily, it seems like this could be effectively patched.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1 10:08 AM
        Hi Ray,

        To the question of a Silk Hammock. The silk hammock
        Ed Speer made for me (I think it must now be about 2
        years ago) is still doing fine. Sorry to hear about
        the mysterious hole in yours. I plan to make another
        one out of lighter silk. My weight is down to under
        150 pound so I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard
        silk.

        I made my first alcohol soda can stove a few days
        ago. I went with your YACC stove. It was very easy
        to make and burned OK. Since then however I have
        changed to a different design idea and yesterday stove
        #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
        3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
        stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
        test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
        of my kitchen.

        I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
        years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
        idea. That stove was less than 8oz and really burned
        great. The weight does not count the battery used for
        the small fan.

        Bill in Texas

        --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1"
        > <dlfrost@a...>
        > wrote:
        > >... Is
        > > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than
        > nylon or poly?
        >
        > Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it
        > dries very
        > quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I
        > notice this when
        > packing early on a cool morning and there is some
        > condensation
        > inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for
        > that).
        >
        > >Now
        > > that you've been using it a while, how's it
        > holding up to wear and
        > > tear?
        >
        > The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem
        > I've had is
        > that some substance dripped on the silk (bird
        > droppings?) and looks
        > like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric.
        > The fabric
        > darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a
        > couple of spots.
        > I suppose it could also have been an actual burn,
        > not sure...
        > Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since
        > silk sews very
        > easily, it seems like this could be effectively
        > patched.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1 10:33 AM
          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
          > I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard silk.

          Wow! that is really light stuff. It will be interesting to see how
          it holds up.

          > ... stove #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
          > 3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
          > stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
          > test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
          > of my kitchen.

          how much fuel does it burn to do this? Any pictures of the stove?

          > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
          > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
          > idea.
          be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves. He
          had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
          purchased a JetBoil.
        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1 8:22 PM
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
            > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
            > > idea.
            > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
            He
            > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
            > purchased a JetBoil.

            I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
            small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
            efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
            poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
            already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
            getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
            up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
            recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

            Doug Frost
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1 8:39 PM
              My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
              design with some different materials and the new stove
              should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
              count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
              the battery for my LED.

              My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
              designed to use modern combustion theory and
              techniques.

              Bill in Texas

              --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
              > Garlington"
              > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
              > few
              > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
              > design
              > > > idea.
              > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
              > his wood stoves.
              > He
              > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
              > this, but I have
              > > purchased a JetBoil.
              >
              > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
              > that there's a
              > small army of people out in the world working on how
              > to make cheap,
              > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
              > third-world
              > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
              > calculations
              > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
              > backpackers is
              > getting the weight down while retaining the
              > efficiency. (If I come
              > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
              > any
              > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
              > best?
              >
              > Doug Frost

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2 5:50 AM
                Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
                for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

                Bill in Houston

                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                > design with some different materials and the new stove
                > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                > the battery for my LED.
                >
                > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                > designed to use modern combustion theory and
                > techniques.
                >
                > Bill in Texas
                >
                > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                > > Garlington"

              • quiltpatti
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2 7:54 AM
                  Hi wood burners,
                  My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
                  similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
                  with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
                  and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
                  bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
                  piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
                  put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
                  air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
                  Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
                  chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
                  the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
                  hike might need to be replaced periodically.
                  Patti

                  wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                  > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                  > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                  > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                  > > > idea.
                  > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
                  stoves.
                  > He
                  > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                  > > purchased a JetBoil.
                  >
                  > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
                  > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
                  cheap,
                  > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                  > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                  > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                  > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
                  come
                  > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                  > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
                  >
                  > Doug Frost
                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2 8:16 AM
                    about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

                    so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

                    the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

                    the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

                    but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

                    i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

                    Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                    My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                    design with some different materials and the new stove
                    should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                    count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                    the battery for my LED.

                    My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                    designed to use modern combustion theory and
                    techniques.

                    Bill in Texas

                    Sandy Kramer
                  • zippydooda
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2 11:39 AM
                      HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                      Bill in Houston

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>