[Hammock Camping] Silk Hammocks

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater
      than
      > about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
      > something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
      > tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
      > Hennessey hammocks.

      Been meaning to ask you a question about your silk hammock... Is
      silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly? Now
      that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
      tear?

      Doug Frost
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
        wrote:
        >... Is
        > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly?

        Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it dries very
        quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I notice this when
        packing early on a cool morning and there is some condensation
        inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for that).

        >Now
        > that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
        > tear?

        The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem I've had is
        that some substance dripped on the silk (bird droppings?) and looks
        like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric. The fabric
        darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a couple of spots.
        I suppose it could also have been an actual burn, not sure...
        Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since silk sews very
        easily, it seems like this could be effectively patched.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          Hi Ray,

          To the question of a Silk Hammock. The silk hammock
          Ed Speer made for me (I think it must now be about 2
          years ago) is still doing fine. Sorry to hear about
          the mysterious hole in yours. I plan to make another
          one out of lighter silk. My weight is down to under
          150 pound so I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard
          silk.

          I made my first alcohol soda can stove a few days
          ago. I went with your YACC stove. It was very easy
          to make and burned OK. Since then however I have
          changed to a different design idea and yesterday stove
          #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
          3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
          stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
          test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
          of my kitchen.

          I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
          years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
          idea. That stove was less than 8oz and really burned
          great. The weight does not count the battery used for
          the small fan.

          Bill in Texas

          --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1"
          > <dlfrost@a...>
          > wrote:
          > >... Is
          > > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than
          > nylon or poly?
          >
          > Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it
          > dries very
          > quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I
          > notice this when
          > packing early on a cool morning and there is some
          > condensation
          > inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for
          > that).
          >
          > >Now
          > > that you've been using it a while, how's it
          > holding up to wear and
          > > tear?
          >
          > The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem
          > I've had is
          > that some substance dripped on the silk (bird
          > droppings?) and looks
          > like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric.
          > The fabric
          > darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a
          > couple of spots.
          > I suppose it could also have been an actual burn,
          > not sure...
          > Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since
          > silk sews very
          > easily, it seems like this could be effectively
          > patched.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
            > I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard silk.

            Wow! that is really light stuff. It will be interesting to see how
            it holds up.

            > ... stove #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
            > 3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
            > stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
            > test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
            > of my kitchen.

            how much fuel does it burn to do this? Any pictures of the stove?

            > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
            > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
            > idea.
            be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves. He
            had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
            purchased a JetBoil.
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
              <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
              > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
              > > idea.
              > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
              He
              > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
              > purchased a JetBoil.

              I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
              small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
              efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
              poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
              already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
              getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
              up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
              recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

              Doug Frost
            • Bill Fornshell
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                design with some different materials and the new stove
                should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                the battery for my LED.

                My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                designed to use modern combustion theory and
                techniques.

                Bill in Texas

                --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                > Garlington"
                > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
                > few
                > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
                > design
                > > > idea.
                > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
                > his wood stoves.
                > He
                > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
                > this, but I have
                > > purchased a JetBoil.
                >
                > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
                > that there's a
                > small army of people out in the world working on how
                > to make cheap,
                > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
                > third-world
                > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
                > calculations
                > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
                > backpackers is
                > getting the weight down while retaining the
                > efficiency. (If I come
                > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
                > any
                > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
                > best?
                >
                > Doug Frost

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • zippydooda
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                  Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
                  for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

                  Bill in Houston

                  <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                  > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                  > design with some different materials and the new stove
                  > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                  > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                  > the battery for my LED.
                  >
                  > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                  > designed to use modern combustion theory and
                  > techniques.
                  >
                  > Bill in Texas
                  >
                  > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                  > > Garlington"

                • quiltpatti
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                    Hi wood burners,
                    My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
                    similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
                    with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
                    and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
                    bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
                    piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
                    put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
                    air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
                    Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
                    chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
                    the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
                    hike might need to be replaced periodically.
                    Patti

                    wrote:
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                    > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                    > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                    > > > idea.
                    > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
                    stoves.
                    > He
                    > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                    > > purchased a JetBoil.
                    >
                    > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
                    > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
                    cheap,
                    > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                    > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                    > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                    > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
                    come
                    > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                    > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
                    >
                    > Doug Frost
                  • Sandy Kramer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                      about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

                      so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

                      the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

                      the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

                      but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

                      i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

                      Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                      My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                      design with some different materials and the new stove
                      should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                      count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                      the battery for my LED.

                      My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                      designed to use modern combustion theory and
                      techniques.

                      Bill in Texas

                      Sandy Kramer
                    • zippydooda
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                        HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                        Bill in Houston

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>