New Orleans Members

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2005
      Anyone heard from Shane? I know we have a couple of other members in
      the area hit by the hurricane. Anyone know if they are okay?
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 2005
        Shane and his family are with family in Houston, still unclear about the
        status of his house
        Ralph

        On 8/31/05, Lenny Nichols <lnichols@...> wrote:

        > Anyone heard from Shane? I know we have a couple of other members in
        > the area hit by the hurricane. Anyone know if they are okay?

      • Bruce W. Calkins
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
          Lenny Nichols wrote:
          > Anyone heard from Shane?
          -----------------------------------
          I have this from Shane on another list. I don't think he'll mind if I
          forward it.

          Bruce W.
          ----------------------------------

          Rather than try to inform everyone of everything everywhere, I've decided to
          centralize my information disbursement. Ya'll can follow our progress and
          story here:

          http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/k/

          Shane

          _______

        • Kim
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Nichols" <lnichols@u...>
            wrote:
            > Anyone heard from Shane? I know we have a couple of other members in
            > the area hit by the hurricane. Anyone know if they are okay?

            I live just north of New Orleans. I had roof damage, water damage in
            my house and too many trees down to count. I'm not able to live at
            home because of no power which means no water for me since I have a
            well. I consider myself lucky compared to friends in New Orleans who
            lost everything.....and I mean everything.

            Kim
          • Anthony (TJ) Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
              Shane is ok, he evacuated before the storm hit. He and his family went to
              Houston, I believe. He has been back to check on his house, and it is still
              standing. He's got pics posted on his website, www.theplacewithnoname.com,
              and go to the Katrina blog.
              TJ

            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                well, i have an interesting New Orleans story:

                I'm getting married next week ("Married? I didn't even know you were dating anyone, Sandy." "I wasn't!")

                It's a way long story but he is in New Orleans and I was able to locate him after the Hurricane. He first proposed 23 years ago, and then again 7 years ago...finally the stars are in the right position and when he asked this time...I am just grateful to have had another opportunity.

                He's working in the Office of Emergency Preparedness (his house is under 15' of water and if he's very lucky the car he left in the Macy's parking garage hasn't been vandalized) and is getting a week of R&R starting next Monday. He's flying to miami with his daughter on Monday night and I am rushing around trying to put a family-style wedding together.

                Third marriage for both of us and we are committed to making it last.

                errr to bring it back on topic, I don't think he's done much outdoorsy stuff for a long time but said hiking and camping are ok and he has never tried kayaking but is willing to try.

                it will be a commuter marriage - probably until i can retire in 3 years, after which i will relocate to wherever he is - most likely New Orleans if they want to keep him there (he's under contract until 01/07) (but we're keeping my house in Mexico where I plan to spend the hurricane season!)

                sandy in miami

                I live just north of New Orleans. I had roof damage, water damage in my house and too many trees down to count. I'm not able to live at home because of no power which means no water for me since I have a well. I consider myself lucky compared to friends in New Orleans who lost everything.....and I mean everything.

                Kim

                Sandy Kramer

              • Lenny Nichols
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kim004@f...> wrote:
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Lenny Nichols" <lnichols@u...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Anyone heard from Shane? I know we have a couple of other members in
                  > > the area hit by the hurricane. Anyone know if they are okay?
                  >
                  > I live just north of New Orleans. I had roof damage, water damage in
                  > my house and too many trees down to count. I'm not able to live at
                  > home because of no power which means no water for me since I have a
                  > well. I consider myself lucky compared to friends in New Orleans who
                  > lost everything.....and I mean everything.
                  >
                  > Kim

                  You were one of the other members I was thinking of. Couldn't remember
                  your name, though. Glad that you are okay. Sounds like your house may
                  be fixable. That's good. Hang in there. I hope you'll let us know if
                  there's anything we can do to help.

                  Lenny (in Texas)