[Hammock Camping] Re: hammock hanging question

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > what size spectra rope do most people use?

      You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater than
      about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
      something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
      tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
      Hennessey hammocks.
    • slowhike
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
        <rgarling@y...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > what size spectra rope do most people use?
        >
        > You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater than
        > about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
        > something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
        > tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
        > Hennessey
        hammocks.
        thanks ray ...slowhike
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
          <rgarling@y...> wrote:
          > You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater
          than
          > about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
          > something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
          > tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
          > Hennessey hammocks.

          Been meaning to ask you a question about your silk hammock... Is
          silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly? Now
          that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
          tear?

          Doug Frost
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
            wrote:
            >... Is
            > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly?

            Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it dries very
            quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I notice this when
            packing early on a cool morning and there is some condensation
            inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for that).

            >Now
            > that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
            > tear?

            The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem I've had is
            that some substance dripped on the silk (bird droppings?) and looks
            like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric. The fabric
            darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a couple of spots.
            I suppose it could also have been an actual burn, not sure...
            Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since silk sews very
            easily, it seems like this could be effectively patched.
          • Bill Fornshell
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
              Hi Ray,

              To the question of a Silk Hammock. The silk hammock
              Ed Speer made for me (I think it must now be about 2
              years ago) is still doing fine. Sorry to hear about
              the mysterious hole in yours. I plan to make another
              one out of lighter silk. My weight is down to under
              150 pound so I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard
              silk.

              I made my first alcohol soda can stove a few days
              ago. I went with your YACC stove. It was very easy
              to make and burned OK. Since then however I have
              changed to a different design idea and yesterday stove
              #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
              3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
              stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
              test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
              of my kitchen.

              I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
              years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
              idea. That stove was less than 8oz and really burned
              great. The weight does not count the battery used for
              the small fan.

              Bill in Texas

              --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1"
              > <dlfrost@a...>
              > wrote:
              > >... Is
              > > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than
              > nylon or poly?
              >
              > Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it
              > dries very
              > quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I
              > notice this when
              > packing early on a cool morning and there is some
              > condensation
              > inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for
              > that).
              >
              > >Now
              > > that you've been using it a while, how's it
              > holding up to wear and
              > > tear?
              >
              > The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem
              > I've had is
              > that some substance dripped on the silk (bird
              > droppings?) and looks
              > like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric.
              > The fabric
              > darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a
              > couple of spots.
              > I suppose it could also have been an actual burn,
              > not sure...
              > Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since
              > silk sews very
              > easily, it seems like this could be effectively
              > patched.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                > I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard silk.

                Wow! that is really light stuff. It will be interesting to see how
                it holds up.

                > ... stove #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
                > 3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
                > stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
                > test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
                > of my kitchen.

                how much fuel does it burn to do this? Any pictures of the stove?

                > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                > idea.
                be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves. He
                had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                purchased a JetBoil.
              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                  <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                  > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                  > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                  > > idea.
                  > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
                  He
                  > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                  > purchased a JetBoil.

                  I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
                  small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
                  efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                  poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                  already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                  getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
                  up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                  recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

                  Doug Frost
                • Bill Fornshell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                    My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                    design with some different materials and the new stove
                    should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                    count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                    the battery for my LED.

                    My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                    designed to use modern combustion theory and
                    techniques.

                    Bill in Texas

                    --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                    > Garlington"
                    > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                    > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
                    > few
                    > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
                    > design
                    > > > idea.
                    > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
                    > his wood stoves.
                    > He
                    > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
                    > this, but I have
                    > > purchased a JetBoil.
                    >
                    > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
                    > that there's a
                    > small army of people out in the world working on how
                    > to make cheap,
                    > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
                    > third-world
                    > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
                    > calculations
                    > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
                    > backpackers is
                    > getting the weight down while retaining the
                    > efficiency. (If I come
                    > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
                    > any
                    > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
                    > best?
                    >
                    > Doug Frost

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • zippydooda
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                      Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
                      for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

                      Bill in Houston

                      <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                      > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                      > design with some different materials and the new stove
                      > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                      > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                      > the battery for my LED.
                      >
                      > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                      > designed to use modern combustion theory and
                      > techniques.
                      >
                      > Bill in Texas
                      >
                      > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                      > > Garlington"

                    • quiltpatti
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                        Hi wood burners,
                        My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
                        similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
                        with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
                        and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
                        bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
                        piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
                        put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
                        air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
                        Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
                        chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
                        the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
                        hike might need to be replaced periodically.
                        Patti

                        wrote:
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                        > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                        > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                        > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                        > > > idea.
                        > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
                        stoves.
                        > He
                        > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                        > > purchased a JetBoil.
                        >
                        > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
                        > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
                        cheap,
                        > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                        > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                        > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                        > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
                        come
                        > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                        > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
                        >
                        > Doug Frost
                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                          about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

                          so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

                          the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

                          the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

                          but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

                          i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

                          Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                          My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                          design with some different materials and the new stove
                          should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                          count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                          the battery for my LED.

                          My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                          designed to use modern combustion theory and
                          techniques.

                          Bill in Texas

                          Sandy Kramer
                        • zippydooda
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                            HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                            Bill in Houston

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>