Re: hammock hanging question

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > i just bought 10 yards of 1" webbing from wall mart. it`s grey &
      > looks (& cost ) same as risk shows on his test hammock. anyway,
      i`ve
      > been using 1" webbing i got from the local outfitters (seems to be
      > little lighter weight). it goes from hammock to & around tree. a
      > couple times i used trees that were a little farther apart than
      normal
      > & had quite a bit of stretching going on. the new (slightly heaver)
      > webbing may not stretch as much if i find myself needing to use two
      > trees a little father apart, but i`m wondering if i could tye w/
      more
      > distance if need be, w/ rope going from hammock to tree hugger &
      have
      > less stretch than webbing? and if so what size/type rope would
      yall
      > suggest? thanks...slowhike

      The poly webbing you got at WalMart should stretch out to it's final
      length after the first few hangings and stay that way. Nylon webbing
      will stretch gradually throughout the night and then recover after
      you exit the hammock ("memory stretch"). Which is why we avoid
      nylon. (It's also heavier.)

      Lots of folks are using the Spectra line along with straps just long
      enough to get around the most common trees in their areas. It sets
      up pretty much like the Hennessey. Garlington's Silk Hammock page
      shows one example.
      http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

      Keep in mind that the farther away the trees are from the hammock the
      higher up on the trunk you'll be tying the straps in order to
      maintain the same hanging angle. So how high you can practically
      reach imposes a limit there.

      Doug Frost
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
        doug... good info & i hadn`t seen ray`s photos. yep i was begining to think that i would have less stretching w/ webbing just serving as tree huggers & rope to hammock. and i`m glad to hear that the poly webbing will stretch less. what size spectra rope do most people use? thanks...slowhike

        dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > i just bought 10 yards of 1" webbing from wall mart. it`s grey &
        > looks (& cost ) same as risk shows on his test hammock. anyway,
        i`ve
        > been using 1" webbing i got from the local outfitters (seems to be
        > little lighter weight). it goes from hammock to & around tree. a
        > couple times i used trees that were a little farther apart than
        normal
        > & had quite a bit of stretching going on. the new (slightly heaver)
        > webbing may not stretch as much if i find myself needing to use two
        > trees a little father apart, but i`m wondering if i could tye w/
        more
        > distance if need be, w/ rope going from hammock to tree hugger &
        have
        > less stretch than webbing? and if so what size/type rope would
        yall
        > suggest? thanks...slowhike

        The poly webbing you got at WalMart should stretch out to it's final
        length after the first few hangings and stay that way. Nylon webbing
        will stretch gradually throughout the night and then recover after
        you exit the hammock ("memory stretch"). Which is why we avoid
        nylon. (It's also heavier.)

        Lots of folks are using the Spectra line along with straps just long
        enough to get around the most common trees in their areas. It sets
        up pretty much like the Hennessey. Garlington's Silk Hammock page
        shows one example.
        http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

        Keep in mind that the farther away the trees are from the hammock the
        higher up on the trunk you'll be tying the straps in order to
        maintain the same hanging angle. So how high you can practically
        reach imposes a limit there.

        Doug Frost

        tim garner

      • Ray Garlington
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
          wrote:
          > what size spectra rope do most people use?

          You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater than
          about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
          something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
          tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
          Hennessey hammocks.
        • slowhike
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
            <rgarling@y...> wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, tim garner <slowhike@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > what size spectra rope do most people use?
            >
            > You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater than
            > about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
            > something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
            > tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
            > Hennessey
            hammocks.
            thanks ray ...slowhike
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
              <rgarling@y...> wrote:
              > You'd like to use something that has a tensile strength greater
              than
              > about 1000 pounds. with spectra line, or equivalent, that is
              > something greater than 2mm. 3mm cord gets you about 1600 pounds of
              > tensile strength, which is about the size used on most of the
              > Hennessey hammocks.

              Been meaning to ask you a question about your silk hammock... Is
              silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly? Now
              that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
              tear?

              Doug Frost
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>
                wrote:
                >... Is
                > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than nylon or poly?

                Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it dries very
                quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I notice this when
                packing early on a cool morning and there is some condensation
                inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for that).

                >Now
                > that you've been using it a while, how's it holding up to wear and
                > tear?

                The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem I've had is
                that some substance dripped on the silk (bird droppings?) and looks
                like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric. The fabric
                darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a couple of spots.
                I suppose it could also have been an actual burn, not sure...
                Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since silk sews very
                easily, it seems like this could be effectively patched.
              • Bill Fornshell
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Hi Ray,

                  To the question of a Silk Hammock. The silk hammock
                  Ed Speer made for me (I think it must now be about 2
                  years ago) is still doing fine. Sorry to hear about
                  the mysterious hole in yours. I plan to make another
                  one out of lighter silk. My weight is down to under
                  150 pound so I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard
                  silk.

                  I made my first alcohol soda can stove a few days
                  ago. I went with your YACC stove. It was very easy
                  to make and burned OK. Since then however I have
                  changed to a different design idea and yesterday stove
                  #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
                  3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
                  stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
                  test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
                  of my kitchen.

                  I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                  years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                  idea. That stove was less than 8oz and really burned
                  great. The weight does not count the battery used for
                  the small fan.

                  Bill in Texas

                  --- Ray Garlington <rgarling@...> wrote:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1"
                  > <dlfrost@a...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >... Is
                  > > silk any more prone to absorbing moisture than
                  > nylon or poly?
                  >
                  > Yes, it seems to absorb some moisture; however, it
                  > dries very
                  > quickly and feels very nice against the skin. I
                  > notice this when
                  > packing early on a cool morning and there is some
                  > condensation
                  > inside the GI shell (I'm still using sil nylon for
                  > that).
                  >
                  > >Now
                  > > that you've been using it a while, how's it
                  > holding up to wear and
                  > > tear?
                  >
                  > The nylon is very light and strong. The only problem
                  > I've had is
                  > that some substance dripped on the silk (bird
                  > droppings?) and looks
                  > like it burned a couple of holes through the fabric.
                  > The fabric
                  > darkened and the center portion disintegrated in a
                  > couple of spots.
                  > I suppose it could also have been an actual burn,
                  > not sure...
                  > Despite the holes the fabric has not torn. Since
                  > silk sews very
                  > easily, it seems like this could be effectively
                  > patched.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ray Garlington
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                    <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                    > I will try some 4.5mm/0.57oz per sq yard silk.

                    Wow! that is really light stuff. It will be interesting to see how
                    it holds up.

                    > ... stove #4 boiled 16oz of water to a rolling boil in less than
                    > 3 minutes. The stove weighed 0.25oz but used a wire
                    > stove stand. The wire stand weighs 0.50oz. This boil
                    > test was a more or less controlled boil on the floor
                    > of my kitchen.

                    how much fuel does it burn to do this? Any pictures of the stove?

                    > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                    > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                    > idea.
                    be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves. He
                    had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                    purchased a JetBoil.
                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                      <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                      > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                      > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                      > > idea.
                      > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood stoves.
                      He
                      > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                      > purchased a JetBoil.

                      I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's a
                      small army of people out in the world working on how to make cheap,
                      efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                      poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                      already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                      getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I come
                      up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                      recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?

                      Doug Frost
                    • Bill Fornshell
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                        My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                        design with some different materials and the new stove
                        should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                        count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                        the battery for my LED.

                        My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                        designed to use modern combustion theory and
                        techniques.

                        Bill in Texas

                        --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@...> wrote:

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                        > Garlington"
                        > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                        > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a
                        > few
                        > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic
                        > design
                        > > > idea.
                        > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about
                        > his wood stoves.
                        > He
                        > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit
                        > this, but I have
                        > > purchased a JetBoil.
                        >
                        > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out
                        > that there's a
                        > small army of people out in the world working on how
                        > to make cheap,
                        > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the
                        > third-world
                        > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of
                        > calculations
                        > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for
                        > backpackers is
                        > getting the weight down while retaining the
                        > efficiency. (If I come
                        > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have
                        > any
                        > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the
                        > best?
                        >
                        > Doug Frost

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • zippydooda
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                          Would it be practical to use the inflater for your DAM as a bellows
                          for the stove, and save the weight of the battery?

                          Bill in Houston

                          <bfornshell@y...> wrote:
                          > My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                          > design with some different materials and the new stove
                          > should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                          > count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                          > the battery for my LED.
                          >
                          > My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                          > designed to use modern combustion theory and
                          > techniques.
                          >
                          > Bill in Texas
                          >
                          > --- dlfrost_1 <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray
                          > > Garlington"

                        • quiltpatti
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                            Hi wood burners,
                            My dual fuel stove is pretty light and gets the job done. It's
                            similar to Rick's coffee can wood stove but uses a 10 oz chix can
                            with 9 air holes around the bottom. It contains the wood fire under
                            and holds my water pot. I use my platypus drinking tube for a
                            bellows. The can and coat hanger wires weigh 1.8 oz. A small pleated
                            piece of heavy foil(1gm) holds an esbit tab closer to the pan and I
                            put the short ends of the wires in the rim holes so there is a small
                            air gap at top(won't burn without)and pan is close enough to esbit.
                            Wood fire for supper and esbit for breakfast or in the rain. A 5 oz
                            chicken can or 6oz COS salmon can stove weighs 1.1 oz and is just
                            the right size for a 26oz beer can pot. Cans do rust and on a long
                            hike might need to be replaced periodically.
                            Patti

                            wrote:
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington"
                            > <rgarling@y...> wrote:
                            > > > I am going back to the small wood stove I made a few
                            > > > years ago and see if I can up-grade the basic design
                            > > > idea.
                            > > be sure to take a look at Rick's web page about his wood
                            stoves.
                            > He
                            > > had some really good ideas. I shouldn't admit this, but I have
                            > > purchased a JetBoil.
                            >
                            > I've caught the woodstove bug as well. It turns out that there's
                            > small army of people out in the world working on how to make
                            cheap,
                            > efficient wood/biomass-fueled stoves, mostly for the third-world
                            > poor. Huge amounts of info on the net too--lots of calculations
                            > already worked out, plans, etcetera. The trick for backpackers is
                            > getting the weight down while retaining the efficiency. (If I
                            come
                            > up with anything I'll put it online.) Anyone have any
                            > recommendations as to which stove list/forum is the best?
                            >
                            > Doug Frost
                          • Sandy Kramer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                              about 6 years ago i arrived in oregon with the screw-on (propane butane) stove but the KOA didn't carry them and i had to drive around portland til i finally found an outfitters.

                              so i jumped when sportsmansguide had an alcohol and a wood-burning stove at really cheap prices. but, true to most of their stuff, lightweight is not a feature.

                              the alcohol is a cute little cup with a lid - the legs twist out - and it comes in a "leather" bag/

                              the wood one is really neat since it folds flat like a narrow paperback and also has a bag... i believe both have "loops" so you can hang onto belt or pack.

                              but i haven't had to use them...and am concerned about availability of denatured alcohol...I will take them on my next fly 'n camp trip, where weight is not an issue.

                              i tried a brief google but couldn't find them...i'm going kayak camping next weekend so i'll take them along to try them out.

                              Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:
                              My old wood stove weighs 6.5oz. I am working on a new
                              design with some different materials and the new stove
                              should weigh a little less. The 6.5oz weight does not
                              count the battery for the small fan I use. I also use
                              the battery for my LED.

                              My wood stove's like my new alcohol stoves are
                              designed to use modern combustion theory and
                              techniques.

                              Bill in Texas

                              Sandy Kramer
                            • zippydooda
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2, 2005
                                HEET in the yellow bottle from an auto parts store or WalMart.

                                Bill in Houston

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...>