Re: [Hammock Camping] just a small thanks

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2005
      Hi Evereet, A bunch of years ago I was referred to a
      book called "Echoes of Incense, A Pilgrimage in Japan
      by Don Weiss. I really enjoyed the book. It was
      about the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage (walk). The
      author did it twice. Once in the winter (1993) in
      reverse order like as he says most "Priest" do and
      once during the spring same year. I always thought I
      would like to do it.

      Last year I thought about a long AT hike. I planned
      my 88 Shelter Pilgrimage. It turned out to be about
      1200 Kilometers just like the Shikoku walk. Springer
      Mt to Catawba Mt Shelter 695.4 miles, 88 Shelters.

      When will you go back for the next part? Do you speak
      Japanese? Did you sleep out each night?

      Bill in Texas

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2005
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
        wrote:
        > I just finished an incredibly successful two week trip through the
        > mountains and coasts of Shikoku, Japan, and I`d like to take this
        > chance to thank everybody in this message group. My Hammock (HH
        > ulasym) became much more than just a shelter at the end of a day.

        What did the Japanese think of hammock camping? Hopefully you'll
        have taken pictures of this trip and will post an account/journal.
        It'd be interesting to see.

        Doug Frost
      • ekunitz
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
          doug,

          I unfortunately didn`t get any pictures whatsoever (I spent the last of
          my money on the hammock (no joke), and the planned purchase of a
          digital camera will have to wait). The hammock turned out to be quite a
          conversation opener. If I was setting up camp somewhere inhabited, I
          usally like to ask permission from the first person I meet. My Japanese
          is horrible, but when I mention "Hammock", everybodys eyes got really
          big. Most of the people who saw me setting up waited around until I
          invited them to try it out- in my experience the Japanese love anything
          new, gimmicky and even remotely useful. In fact, now that I think of
          it, I was turned down a prime camping spot until I mentioned that I`d
          be sleeping in a hammock and without making a fire. Turns out the guy
          was a sailor who spoke some english. He talked about how he used to
          have to sleep in a hammock in the big offshore fishing boats, stacked
          like "sakana" (fish). He layed down for all of five secods in my HH,
          and a smooth and heartfelt "sugoi!" (Amazing!) was all he had to say.
          Not only did he tell me I was more than welcome to sleep there, but he
          returned a bit later with some fruit from his wife`s garden. It was
          then that I understood the true potential of the hammock...

          everett

          p.s.- I would love to be able to get my journal online, but I don`t
          have anywhere to post. Where might one do that?

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > I just finished an incredibly successful two week trip through the
          > > mountains and coasts of Shikoku, Japan, and I`d like to take this
          > > chance to thank everybody in this message group. My Hammock (HH
          > > ulasym) became much more than just a shelter at the end of a day.
          >

          > What did the Japanese think of hammock camping? Hopefully you'll
          > have taken pictures of this trip and will post an account/journal.
          > It'd be interesting to see.
          >
          > Doug Frost
        • ekunitz
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
            Bill,

            I also read Mr. Weiss`s book, "Echoes of Inscence". I read it after
            I`d decided that this was where I would be headed, and it was a
            great primer for what to look out for. Unfortuatly, I couldn`t help
            but feel slightly misled. While road walking is mentioned in the
            book, I should warn anybody to expect at least 80% of the journey to
            be paved. As I understand it, it wasn`t always this way, and in fact
            many of today`s roadways follow the ancient routes path, but it is
            roads none the less. With cars. And convenience stores. A benefit in
            some ways, but it kind of completely destroys the whole esoteric
            part of the walk. I`m not sure I would have undertaken the adventure
            had I know this beforehand, but it is immpossible to get ahold of
            anything like a guidebook or topographical maps of the area from
            outside of Japan (where I planned as best I could without maps!) I
            speak a smattering of Japanese, mostly profanity and I can name most
            of what I ate. I hope.

            I undertook this first section of the walk in "Nojuku" style, which
            means sleeping outside unless offered shelter. Of the 13 days, I was
            offered 3 accomadations, ranging from a bell tower in the entrance
            gate of a temple to a cockroach infested all-night-prayer shack. I
            much preferred my hammock. I tied my HH to anything I could find,
            which included between a lampost and a pickup truck on a seawall,
            between the supporting pillars of a "Torii" (those famous japanese
            gateways) and in a bamboo thicket (I woke up in a rather saggy
            hammock, and thought maybe I`d missed a hitch or something. To my
            dismay, I discovered that both anchoring bamboo stalks (each must
            have been at least 10cm in diameter) were bent over and almost
            touching eachother. This was once I`d gotten OUT of the hammock.
            Apparently Bamboo doesn`t really have firm routing. Let this be a
            lesson to us all!). One night I tied up to what I thought was an
            electrical pole and a tree. When it got dark out, it turns out that
            I probably should have looked up and checked because I was stationed
            directly under a lampost. Not so stealthy; which could be a bad idea
            considering I was walking through a No Illegal camping area and had
            already been stopped once by the police that day. Luckily I was only
            woken up by a man practicing some sort of verbal and bodily taichi
            next to me. I guess I must have been in his favorite spot, because
            as I was packing up he kept casting nasty looks at between the
            threatening looking jab motions he was making with his hands. But it
            could have been just part of the excercise...

            Everett

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
              > p.s.- I would love to be able to get my journal online, but I don`t
              > have anywhere to post. Where might one do that?

              www.trailjournals.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29, 2005
                wrote:
                > I unfortunately didn`t get any pictures whatsoever (I spent the
                last of
                > my money on the hammock (no joke), and the planned purchase of a
                > digital camera will have to wait).

                You mean to tell me that you could not find a cheepie film camera
                anywhere in Japan ? ;-) Darned shame tho...

                > Not only did he tell me I was more than welcome to sleep there, but
                he
                > returned a bit later with some fruit from his wife`s garden. It was
                > then that I understood the true potential of the hammock...

                Hey, I'll have to try this... heh.

                Doug Frost
              • ekunitz
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2005
                  Doug,

                  This trip was also my first experiment into the realm of the
                  lightweight. I was trying to leave EVERYTHING out of my pack. In
                  retrospect, I probably could have traded the four extra stakes I was
                  carrying for a disposable camera, as the stakes don`t really have
                  anything relevant to say about the trip (they didn`t once come out of
                  my pack). It is a darned shame I didn`t get any photos.