just a small thanks

  • ekunitz
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27 9:10 PM
      Hello!

      I just finished an incredibly successful two week trip through the
      mountains and coasts of Shikoku, Japan, and I`d like to take this
      chance to thank everybody in this message group. My Hammock (HH
      ulasym) became much more than just a shelter at the end of a day. It
      rocked me to sleep, provided a writing chair, and not to mention
      quick escape from rain (and rain there was. Everything from a happy
      sun shower to gumball size drops of water). It was such a breeze
      setting up everytime, that I no longer had to look for camp two ours
      before sun down like I usually like to. I was so excited the first
      few times I used it before I set out, and was sure that the novelty
      would wear off once I had to do a rain setup after a 30km day, but I
      found myself actually looking forward to pitching the hammock and
      making camp- half of the fun of this shelter is working it into a
      desired space. I`m so used to using a tent that I just figured that
      the old square peg and round hole rule would apply with the hammock
      as well. To my delight, the hammock seems to operate more like a
      fluid than a solid- it will pretty much just conform to any place
      you can string it up (and I was afraid this would be a problem- but
      once you figure out how much distance you need, potential hammock
      `anchors` are everywhere) and rock you gently to sleep OFF THE
      GROUND! Once again thank you to all who have posted, asked
      questions, answered questions, and especially those who have
      speculated about hammocking possibilities. I think that my mobility
      has almost doubled with this shelter, while cutting my shelter
      weight in half!

      everett
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27 9:32 PM
        Evereet, Did you do part of the route of the 88
        Temples of Shikoku?

        Bill in Texas

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • ekunitz
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28 8:10 PM
          Yes, that exactly. Although, I deviated from the marked route as
          much as possible- I didn`t feel like walking next to highways!
          Although the 88 temples pilgrimage is really more of a walking
          journey, it does involve some fairly difficult and overgrown
          mountain paths and contending with the weather in Shikoku makes the
          journey difficult enough! I completed my first leg of the circular
          route, walking 330km from temple 1 to temple 29 (basically ending in
          Kochi, at the first possible train station- there was a supposed 11
          force typhoon on my heels).

          everett

        • Bill Fornshell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28 9:06 PM
            Hi Evereet, A bunch of years ago I was referred to a
            book called "Echoes of Incense, A Pilgrimage in Japan
            by Don Weiss. I really enjoyed the book. It was
            about the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage (walk). The
            author did it twice. Once in the winter (1993) in
            reverse order like as he says most "Priest" do and
            once during the spring same year. I always thought I
            would like to do it.

            Last year I thought about a long AT hike. I planned
            my 88 Shelter Pilgrimage. It turned out to be about
            1200 Kilometers just like the Shikoku walk. Springer
            Mt to Catawba Mt Shelter 695.4 miles, 88 Shelters.

            When will you go back for the next part? Do you speak
            Japanese? Did you sleep out each night?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • dlfrost_1
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28 10:50 PM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
              wrote:
              > I just finished an incredibly successful two week trip through the
              > mountains and coasts of Shikoku, Japan, and I`d like to take this
              > chance to thank everybody in this message group. My Hammock (HH
              > ulasym) became much more than just a shelter at the end of a day.

              What did the Japanese think of hammock camping? Hopefully you'll
              have taken pictures of this trip and will post an account/journal.
              It'd be interesting to see.

              Doug Frost
            • ekunitz
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 29 4:56 AM
                doug,

                I unfortunately didn`t get any pictures whatsoever (I spent the last of
                my money on the hammock (no joke), and the planned purchase of a
                digital camera will have to wait). The hammock turned out to be quite a
                conversation opener. If I was setting up camp somewhere inhabited, I
                usally like to ask permission from the first person I meet. My Japanese
                is horrible, but when I mention "Hammock", everybodys eyes got really
                big. Most of the people who saw me setting up waited around until I
                invited them to try it out- in my experience the Japanese love anything
                new, gimmicky and even remotely useful. In fact, now that I think of
                it, I was turned down a prime camping spot until I mentioned that I`d
                be sleeping in a hammock and without making a fire. Turns out the guy
                was a sailor who spoke some english. He talked about how he used to
                have to sleep in a hammock in the big offshore fishing boats, stacked
                like "sakana" (fish). He layed down for all of five secods in my HH,
                and a smooth and heartfelt "sugoi!" (Amazing!) was all he had to say.
                Not only did he tell me I was more than welcome to sleep there, but he
                returned a bit later with some fruit from his wife`s garden. It was
                then that I understood the true potential of the hammock...

                everett

                p.s.- I would love to be able to get my journal online, but I don`t
                have anywhere to post. Where might one do that?

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ekunitz" <everettkunitz@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > I just finished an incredibly successful two week trip through the
                > > mountains and coasts of Shikoku, Japan, and I`d like to take this
                > > chance to thank everybody in this message group. My Hammock (HH
                > > ulasym) became much more than just a shelter at the end of a day.
                >

                > What did the Japanese think of hammock camping? Hopefully you'll
                > have taken pictures of this trip and will post an account/journal.
                > It'd be interesting to see.
                >
                > Doug Frost
              • ekunitz
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 29 5:22 AM
                  Bill,

                  I also read Mr. Weiss`s book, "Echoes of Inscence". I read it after
                  I`d decided that this was where I would be headed, and it was a
                  great primer for what to look out for. Unfortuatly, I couldn`t help
                  but feel slightly misled. While road walking is mentioned in the
                  book, I should warn anybody to expect at least 80% of the journey to
                  be paved. As I understand it, it wasn`t always this way, and in fact
                  many of today`s roadways follow the ancient routes path, but it is
                  roads none the less. With cars. And convenience stores. A benefit in
                  some ways, but it kind of completely destroys the whole esoteric
                  part of the walk. I`m not sure I would have undertaken the adventure
                  had I know this beforehand, but it is immpossible to get ahold of
                  anything like a guidebook or topographical maps of the area from
                  outside of Japan (where I planned as best I could without maps!) I
                  speak a smattering of Japanese, mostly profanity and I can name most
                  of what I ate. I hope.

                  I undertook this first section of the walk in "Nojuku" style, which
                  means sleeping outside unless offered shelter. Of the 13 days, I was
                  offered 3 accomadations, ranging from a bell tower in the entrance
                  gate of a temple to a cockroach infested all-night-prayer shack. I
                  much preferred my hammock. I tied my HH to anything I could find,
                  which included between a lampost and a pickup truck on a seawall,
                  between the supporting pillars of a "Torii" (those famous japanese
                  gateways) and in a bamboo thicket (I woke up in a rather saggy
                  hammock, and thought maybe I`d missed a hitch or something. To my
                  dismay, I discovered that both anchoring bamboo stalks (each must
                  have been at least 10cm in diameter) were bent over and almost
                  touching eachother. This was once I`d gotten OUT of the hammock.
                  Apparently Bamboo doesn`t really have firm routing. Let this be a
                  lesson to us all!). One night I tied up to what I thought was an
                  electrical pole and a tree. When it got dark out, it turns out that
                  I probably should have looked up and checked because I was stationed
                  directly under a lampost. Not so stealthy; which could be a bad idea
                  considering I was walking through a No Illegal camping area and had
                  already been stopped once by the police that day. Luckily I was only
                  woken up by a man practicing some sort of verbal and bodily taichi
                  next to me. I guess I must have been in his favorite spot, because
                  as I was packing up he kept casting nasty looks at between the
                  threatening looking jab motions he was making with his hands. But it
                  could have been just part of the excercise...

                  Everett

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 29 7:03 AM
                    > p.s.- I would love to be able to get my journal online, but I don`t
                    > have anywhere to post. Where might one do that?

                    www.trailjournals.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • dlfrost_1
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 29 8:03 PM
                      wrote:
                      > I unfortunately didn`t get any pictures whatsoever (I spent the
                      last of
                      > my money on the hammock (no joke), and the planned purchase of a
                      > digital camera will have to wait).

                      You mean to tell me that you could not find a cheepie film camera
                      anywhere in Japan ? ;-) Darned shame tho...

                      > Not only did he tell me I was more than welcome to sleep there, but
                      he
                      > returned a bit later with some fruit from his wife`s garden. It was
                      > then that I understood the true potential of the hammock...

                      Hey, I'll have to try this... heh.

                      Doug Frost
                    • ekunitz
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 30 6:53 AM
                        Doug,

                        This trip was also my first experiment into the realm of the
                        lightweight. I was trying to leave EVERYTHING out of my pack. In
                        retrospect, I probably could have traded the four extra stakes I was
                        carrying for a disposable camera, as the stakes don`t really have
                        anything relevant to say about the trip (they didn`t once come out of
                        my pack). It is a darned shame I didn`t get any photos.