Re: [Hammock Camping] Seam sealing (was OT ground dwelling

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 25, 2005
      Sandy, for the slip resist dots full strenth may be ok. for just
      plain old seam sealing mix the silicone with mineral spirits about
      50/50 or even a little thiner depending on project.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
      <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
      > now, that IS a good tip. I just received a small tube of sil
      sealant but the larger should work out much cheaper...plus I need
      some for the kitchen counter tiles!!

      > Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      > Sandy,
      >
      > I should have been more specific. GE Silicone II can be used for
      > sealing silnylon. Different products are used on the coated
      fabrics.

      http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/diy/portfolio/silicones/silicone2.
      shtml

      > Dick Matthews
      >

      > Sandy Kramer wrote:
      >
      > >speaking of seam sealing... a section hiker friend taught me to
      use Thompson's water sealant (the stuff you use for your deck) to
      seal tent seams. It does leave a definite "watermark" but the price
      is right.

      > >I used it recently for some deck backs that are not meant to be
      waterproof but I thought that sealing the seams wouldn't hurt.

      > >for making the mattress slipproof...do you use a lot of sealant
      so it is raised or do you think Thompson's would work as well?

      > >Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      > >I also use a 3/4 inflatable mattress inside the tent with seal
      sealer dots to prevent slipping.

      > >Dick Matthews
      > >

      > >Sandy Kramer wrote:
      > >

      > >>Dick Matthews <dick@c...> wrote:
      > >><<This is THE most comfortable camp chair. >>
      > >>
      > >>sorry, I forgot to mention this. I really like the way it
      adjusts as you either sit up or recline.

      > >><<I only carry it when I can use it as the frame in my Moonbow
      Gearskin (24.4 oz.). >>

      > >>I googled them after you mentioned it before. (okay, i'll
      fess..i also ordered their $10 video). I love the way you just fold
      everything up into one bundle. No need to stuff things into
      individual sacks.

      > >><<When I am a ground dweller I carry a RidgeRest pad (13.0 oz.)
      used as the ground cloth under the tent. >>

      > >>is it also your only mattress for sleeping "comfort"??
      > >>
      > >><< The pad fits in a Therm-A-Rest chair kit (9.9 oz.). >>
      > >>
      > >>I got the Z-rest and was going to see if it would fit in my TAR
      chair kit.

      > >><<Hammock hangers don't need no stinkin' chair.>>
      > >>
      > >>still haven't had a chance to use my hammock in the field. But
      the Byer's Moskito Traveler says you just flip it over when you
      don't need the bugnet, so that should be easy.

      > >><<5 This review is too late to help you.>>
      > >>
      > >>it probably wouldn't have deterred me as the new kayak has no
      hatches (my lightweight Lafuma butterfly chair just slid inside the
      Hobie Pursuit hatch)but the Sling-Light will sit nicely on the flat
      stern.

      > Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

      Service.

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 25, 2005
        Thanks Coy Boy. All very good advice that I forgot to add.

        Dick Matthews