Re: [Hammock Camping] Seam sealing (was OT ground dwelling

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 25, 2005
      now, that IS a good tip. I just received a small tube of sil sealant but the larger should work out much cheaper...plus I need some for the kitchen counter tiles!!

      Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:
      Sandy,

      I should have been more specific. GE Silicone II can be used for
      sealing silnylon. Different products are used on the coated fabrics.

      http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/diy/portfolio/silicones/silicone2.shtml

      Dick Matthews

      Sandy Kramer wrote:

      >speaking of seam sealing... a section hiker friend taught me to use Thompson's water sealant (the stuff you use for your deck) to seal tent seams. It does leave a definite "watermark" but the price is right.
      >
      >I used it recently for some deck backs that are not meant to be waterproof but I thought that sealing the seams wouldn't hurt.
      >
      >for making the mattress slipproof...do you use a lot of sealant so it is raised or do you think Thompson's would work as well?
      >
      >Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:
      >I also use a 3/4 inflatable mattress inside the tent with seal sealer dots to prevent slipping.
      >
      >Dick Matthews
      >

      >Sandy Kramer wrote:
      >

      >>Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:
      >><<This is THE most comfortable camp chair. >>
      >>
      >>sorry, I forgot to mention this. I really like the way it adjusts as you either sit up or recline.
      >>
      >><<I only carry it when I can use it as the frame in my Moonbow Gearskin (24.4 oz.). >>
      >>
      >>I googled them after you mentioned it before. (okay, i'll fess..i also ordered their $10 video). I love the way you just fold everything up into one bundle. No need to stuff things into individual sacks.
      >>
      >><<When I am a ground dweller I carry a RidgeRest pad (13.0 oz.) used as the ground cloth under the tent. >>
      >>
      >>is it also your only mattress for sleeping "comfort"??
      >>
      >><< The pad fits in a Therm-A-Rest chair kit (9.9 oz.). >>
      >>
      >>I got the Z-rest and was going to see if it would fit in my TAR chair kit.
      >>
      >><<Hammock hangers don't need no stinkin' chair.>>
      >>
      >>still haven't had a chance to use my hammock in the field. But the Byer's Moskito Traveler says you just flip it over when you don't need the bugnet, so that should be easy.
      >>
      >><<5 This review is too late to help you.>>
      >>
      >>it probably wouldn't have deterred me as the new kayak has no hatches (my lightweight Lafuma butterfly chair just slid inside the Hobie Pursuit hatch)but the Sling-Light will sit nicely on the flat stern.

      Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 25, 2005
        Thanks Coy Boy. All very good advice that I forgot to add.

        Dick Matthews