silnylon

  • Gregg Spoering
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
      Hi Ed,
      Received your book today-really great! Read the whole thing instead of
      working, and now I'm ready to start experimenting. (first I have to make
      some hammocks for my boys and nephew though)
      My question is although you recommend 1.9oz fabric for my weight, has
      anyone made one with 1.3 oz silnylon for the body (or uncoated 1.1)? I
      seem to recall someone mentioning that the adventure racer was silnylon.
      I realize that I would be bucking your advice, but the idea of cutting a
      few ounces always works for me. This hammock would be only for myself
      (shit, the ones for the kids should probably be kevlar....) I was just
      wondering if anyone has tried it without doing serious bodily harm.
      Best,
      Gregg
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003
        Message
        Glad you liked the book Greg. Sounds like you will be making several hammocks.

        Yes you can use lighter fabric to save some weight--I wouldn't tell everyone that, but this group can handle it. I've tried 1.1 uncoated ripstop, but it is very fragile and soon ripped apart (Yep, I hit the ground).  It might suffice for a hundred pounder who treats it with great care.  Children probably need stronger fabric since they can be less attentive.  I have a prototype 1.5 uncoated ripstop hammock that is promising, but hasn't been used enough to recommend. Some nylon fabrics other than ripstop could make suitable hammocks--some commercial hammocks use nylons less expensive than ripstop.  So you may be able to find lighter-weight nylons to use--I've even found suitable lightweight ripstop and non-ripstop nylons at Wal-Mart for $1-$2/yd!  At those prices, one could make and use a very light-weight hammock, replacing it with a new one when it begins to show serious deterioration. If you got maybe 30-nights use out of each one, it might be a feasible alternative....Ed

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003
          > So you may be able to
          > find lighter-weight nylons to use--I've even found suitable
          lightweight
          > ripstop and non-ripstop nylons at Wal-Mart for $1-$2/yd!

          Ed -- I found some fabric (the clerk called it a liner fabric) that
          looked like nylon, but my neighbor (she sews quite a lot) said she
          thought it was a polyester. It melted like nylon, and weighed about
          2.4 oz / square yard. I make a 'Speer' out of it and it was pretty
          strong and held about 340 lbs with no sign of giving way. My son will
          be using this in his back yard. I made another and am thinking about
          using it on my AT section hike this year (2-11 May).

          Have you seen this fabric (Guardsman) and have you tried other types
          of fabric besides nylon?

          Ray
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003
            Message
            Ray, I'm not familiar with the specific fabric you mention--but I suspect many fabrics could be suitable.  Of course, I like Nylon or Polyester since they hold up well outdoors, don't stretch excessively and dry quickly.  I too test unknown fabrics with the 'burn' test--nylons or polyesters melt before burning; cottons burn immediately and do not melt (a cig lighter is all that's needed).  My locale Wal-Mart clerk is now use to me trying to set fire to the fabrics on the discount table--she now cuts off small pieces and sends me outside!

            I've tried a few heavy mesh fabrics, but they are much too heavy for backpacking use.  I've been looking for silk or synthetic silk, but no luck yet (too expensive).  Of course Jason has had luck with military parachute fabric--at least one commerical hammock is also made out of this. Parachute 'silk' sounds like a good alternative--but I don't know how much it actually weighs.  In South America, I saw suitable hammocks made from a strong, very fine synthetic mesh, but have been unable to find similar fabric in US.

            What section are you hiking on the AT?  Chris Stevens who is hiking the East Contnental Trail with a Speer Hammock, hits the AT at Springer in a few days. However, we're having another unsuual spring snow storm today in western NC and I've already heard of numerous NOBOs who have left the trail and headed to town.  Same thing happened last weekend too!  Weird spring weather!  Should all be over by the time of your hike...Ed

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003

              > What section are you hiking on the AT?

              We will start at VA 311 (mile 689.7) and plan to go to about 100
              miles. I thought we were going to pull out at US 60, which is 97
              miles, but my hiking buddy *has* to go at least 100 so he is looking
              at an ending about 5 miles further. He claims there is a forest
              service road. We'll see. Want to go?
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10, 2003
                Message
                Any hike on the AT is exciting in my book!  You should have a great time.  Maybe we will meet some other time on the trail...Ed

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2003
                  Shane (mirage),
                  Finally got a chance to unroll the silnylon I bought from Noah Lamport.
                  even though it is listed as 2nds, I couldn't find anything wrong with
                  it. Definitely worth it.
                  Best
                  Greg