RE: Hammock Camping Re: My first real hammock test

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9 1:27 PM
      Message
      I'd second that concern Paul. 1.1 Silnylon is waterproof only within certain limits--water can be driven thru the fabric if it is under enough pressure.  Normal rain/wind is not enough pressure to force water thru, thus silnylon functions as waterproof most of the time. However, contact w/ a solid object can result in enough pressure to force water thru the fabric--even loose contact with the bug net as you observed.  For this reason, I caution people not to depend on silnylon for ground sheets--the pressure of your body's weight is more than enough to force water in wet ground thru the fabric. Likewise silnylon pack covers and stuff sacks can also leak for the same reason. Increasing the silicone coating has solved the problem for me on stuff sacks and packcovers--I treat several times w/ spray silicone from Wal-Mart (Silicone Water-Guard, <$4 for 10.5 oz can).  This may also work on a tarp....Ed