Length of hammock?

  • bjedge540
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
      I am making a Risk Test Hammock. I bought too much material I think.
      My hammock is now 10.5 feet long. I am 6'3" and I don't know how much
      I need on both ends to be comfortable. Is more better?

      I want comfort but still keep weight down. I have made a bug net that
      is roughly 10 feet long as well. Will that be too long?

      I have homemade hammock tubes that I made tonight to keep the net
      tight on the ends. Does the net need to be the same length or longer?

      Thanks for the help, Barry
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
        The neat thing about a test hammock is: you can try tying it at different
        lengths to get it right for you.
        Mine start out 12 foot long and I just tie them with a double sheet bend.
        Try it til you get comfortable.
        Ralph

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2005
          It's a tradeoff - longer is generally more comfortable because there's
          less curvature where you lay, but it's also heavier and sometimes
          (seldom, really) can affect site selection.

          Many hammocks are about 9' of material. Ed Speer says you want about
          2' plus your height between the knots. I made one that's 10' x 48"
          and it's pretty comfy. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable at 9' and 48",
          though.

          So it depends on how you like it...if it's comfortable and light
          enough for you, keep it. If not, like Ralph said, just tie another
          knot in the end and move the strap until you get it where you like it,
          then cut off the excess. I use whipping instead of knots so it's easy
          to change stuff like that.

          For the bugnet, it should probably be at least as long as the hammock
          or you'll have to find a way to plug the open ends.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
            Ten or ten and a half feet is about right if you are going to tie the
            overhand knot. If you whip the ends, it can be up to a foot or a foot
            and a half shorter. Like others have said, it is easy enough to shorten
            it as an experiment. The bug net needs to be as long as the distance
            between the attachment points for the straps for any hammock.

            Remember that the test hammock is really only designed for a few nights
            use. It is a cheap way to find out if someone can sleep in a hammock
            without having to buy one that will last a season. I actually never
            conceived of anyone using a bug net with it. If I were to continue to
            use a hammock I would get good quality material (like 1.9 oz ripstop)
            and hem the long edges.

            Risk

            bjedge540 wrote:

            > I am making a Risk Test Hammock. I bought too much material I think.
            > My hammock is now 10.5 feet long. I am 6'3" and I don't know how much
            > I need on both ends to be comfortable. Is more better?
            >
            > I want comfort but still keep weight down. I have made a bug net that
            > is roughly 10 feet long as well. Will that be too long?
            >
            > I have homemade hammock tubes that I made tonight to keep the net
            > tight on the ends. Does the net need to be the same length or longer?
            >
            > Thanks for the help, Barry

            > Camping tents
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+tents&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=3eRZQ8hEhZ1LRCeRGfJTQQ>
            > Camping hammock
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=KIuEz1TZvesXEoemopZROQ>
            > Happy camper
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=-RhCsbgVQysCpnb--OohoQ>
            >
            > Outdoors
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=U4l_oRF_lUViaFPRQ2xBZQ>

          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
              A whole extra yard of material weighs, what, 2 ounces? So to me, you
              don't save much weight by cutting hammock length. I guess if you add
              up hammock, tarp, and bugnet, to might get up to 2 ounces per foot of
              length, but that assumes the tarp and bugnet are custom made to the
              exact minimum length for your hammock...

              Welcome to the wonderful inexact world of hammocking.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bjedge540" <janzenbarry@l...>
              wrote:
              > I am making a Risk Test Hammock. I bought too much material I think.
              > My hammock is now 10.5 feet long. I am 6'3" and I don't know how much
              > I need on both ends to be comfortable. Is more better?
              >
              > I want comfort but still keep weight down. I have made a bug net that
              > is roughly 10 feet long as well. Will that be too long?
              >
              > I have homemade hammock tubes that I made tonight to keep the net
              > tight on the ends. Does the net need to be the same length or longer?
              >
              > Thanks for the help, Barry
            • bjedge540
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
                Rick,

                Thanks for the help. I guess I freaked out last night. I hadn't
                thought it all through. I had read that you bought 3.33 yards (I
                think) so I bought 3.5 ( I am just a tad taller) and then I ended up
                trying the whip on both ends. I hadn't realized how long it had
                gotten until last night. I had already sewn a bugnet for it and it
                was quite a chore making a nice seam on that noseeum. I want to keep
                weight down as much as possible. An extra ounce in 16 different
                places makes an extra pound! I looked over some websites last night
                and realized 8.5 - 9' seems about right for my height. Now I just
                have to figure out how to shorten the bug net. I made a nice one and
                cutting into that seam seems just a little overwhelming right now. I
                am the type that likes things done right. I liked the idea of the
                Testhammock but using it without a bug net didn't appeal to me. The
                mosquitos are still thick here. When I get my ripstop hammock made,
                I can just loosen the strap and slip the new one into my setup.

                Question for those still reading.....Should the bugnet be the same
                length as the hammock? I know the hammock will sag more than the net
                on a rope. Right now mine is 1.5 feet longer and makes sliding the
                hammock tubes over kinda hard. My final product will be similar to
                the Zhammock of Risk's

                --Barry

                > Ten or ten and a half feet is about right if you are going to tie
                the
                > overhand knot. If you whip the ends, it can be up to a foot or a
                foot
                > and a half shorter. Like others have said, it is easy enough to
                shorten
                > it as an experiment. The bug net needs to be as long as the
                distance
                > between the attachment points for the straps for any hammock.
                >
                > Remember that the test hammock is really only designed for a few
                nights
                > use. It is a cheap way to find out if someone can sleep in a
                hammock
                > without having to buy one that will last a season. I actually
                never
                > conceived of anyone using a bug net with it. If I were to continue
                > use a hammock I would get good quality material (like 1.9 oz
                ripstop)
                > and hem the long edges.
                >
                > Risk
                >
                > bjedge540 wrote:
                >
                > > I am making a Risk Test Hammock. I bought too much material I
                think.
                > > My hammock is now 10.5 feet long. I am 6'3" and I don't know how
                much
                > > I need on both ends to be comfortable. Is more better?
                > >
                > > I want comfort but still keep weight down. I have made a bug net
                that
                > > is roughly 10 feet long as well. Will that be too long?
                > >
                > > I have homemade hammock tubes that I made tonight to keep the net
                > > tight on the ends. Does the net need to be the same length or
                longer?

                > > Thanks for the help, Barry

                > > Camping tents
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Camping+tents&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+cam
                per&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=3eRZQ8hEhZ1LRCeRGfJTQQ>
                > > Camping hammock
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+c
                amper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=KIuEz1TZvesXEoemopZROQ>
                > > Happy camper
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camp
                er&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=-RhCsbgVQysCpnb--OohoQ>

                > > Outdoors
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w
                4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=U4l_oRF_lUViaFPRQ2xBZQ>

                subject=Unsubscribe>