working wth nylon

  • quiltpatti
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2005
      Don't worry about syl nylon. It won't ravel. The silicon holds it
      together.
      For the noncoated stuff, I've tried several options and find them
      all a little tedious. And working with heat or fire is stressful,
      too.
      1. Hot cutting: I used a stencil cutter which is kinda like a wimpy
      soldering iron. I don't know if it gets as hot, but it works. I
      didn't have glass and used EXTRA heavy duty aluminum foil. I'm sure
      a concrete garage floor would work too. If you're using a hot
      cutting tool, you can only do one layer at a time or they'll fuse
      together.
      Use wadded up aluminum foil to clean the gum off the tip.
      2. Just cut it and seal the edges with a candle flame.
      3. Use FRAY CHECK or FRAY BLOCK which you can get at the fabric
      store. Run a stripe of it along your cutting line, let it dry, and
      cut. It will hold at least until you get the seams sewn and
      finished, maybe longer. you can also put it on the edge after it's
      cut.

      If it's uncoated fabric, sharp pins are not going to hurt it. I even
      use pins in Syl Nylon. It's pretty self sealing.
      Patti