Re: [Hammock Camping] snakeskins (and tarpskins)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 12, 2005
      tx...just when i was getting ready to weaken and order them.....

      jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:Just off the top of my head...

      Cut a trapezoid of cloth. Should be roughly 5' long, and 12" across
      the wide end and 3-4" across the short end. (The short end is what
      will be next to the hammock support ropes; the long end is what will
      be near the middle of the hammock when deployed.)

      Hem the ends, then sew along the long side to make a tube. It
      should actually come out like a cone...wider at one end (about 5-6"
      opening) and a 1-2" opening on the other end.

      That'll be big enough for a hammock and underquilt.

      For just a tarp, you can probably do .5" opening and 3"
      opening...play around with dimensions until you get it right, then
      post here for the rest of us!

      Jeff

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Sandy Kramer
      <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
      > that DOES sound interesting...now when is someone going to post
      some dimensions and instructions for making 'em?

      > tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
      > sandy... no your messages didn`t get crossed. i think jeff was
      refering to an idea i shared a while back. that is to use a seperate
      snake skin for the tarp. it makes stringing the tarp up & taking it
      down (especialy in wind) easyer. also gives it some protection
      through the process & replaces a stuff sack. making tarp snake skins
      out of mesh does all that & also alows the possibility of some
      drying of a wet/damp tarp if conditions alow as you hike. the
      hammock still rides in a waterproff (silnylon) snake skin.
      thanks...slowhike

      > Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
      >
      > jwj32542 <jwj32542@y...> wrote:
      > Try separate snakeskins. When I get a rountuit I'm gonna make
      some out of mesh.

      > I was talking about storing the HH Hex Fly. You aren't thinking
      of snakeskins for the fly are you?

      > our messages have crossed.... snakeskins out of mesh? mmmmmmm this
      defeats keeping the hammock dry, will it still provide the water
      drip protection? (I think it should).

      > sandy
      >

      > Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors
      >

      > Sandy Kramer
      > work # 305-471-1913

      Service.

      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 12, 2005

        <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
        > that DOES sound interesting...now when is someone going to post
        some dimensions and instructions for making 'em?

        > tim garner <slowhike@y...> wrote:
        > sandy... no your messages didn`t get crossed. i think jeff was
        refering to an idea i shared a while back. that is to use a seperate
        snake skin for the tarp. it makes stringing the tarp up & taking it
        down (especialy in wind) easyer. also gives it some protection
        through the process & replaces a stuff sack. making tarp snake skins
        out of mesh does all that & also alows the possibility of some
        drying of a wet/damp tarp if conditions alow as you hike. the
        hammock still rides in a waterproff (silnylon) snake skin.
        thanks...slowhike

        > Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@y...> wrote:
        >
        > jwj32542 <jwj32542@y...> wrote:
        > Try separate snakeskins. When I get a rountuit I'm gonna make
        some out of mesh.

        > I was talking about storing the HH Hex Fly. You aren't thinking
        of snakeskins for the fly are you?

        > our messages have crossed.... snakeskins out of mesh? mmmmmmm this
        defeats keeping the hammock dry, will it still provide the water
        drip protection? (I think it should).

        > sandy
        >

        > Camping tents Camping hammock Happy camper Outdoors
        >

        > Sandy Kramer
        > work # 305-471-1913

        Service.