kayaking and hammocking

  • Greg Welker
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
      I've been kayak camping with years using a hammock. Works great as long as
      you know the areas will have trees. Some barrier islands don't have usable
      trees. I've done the ground set ups for the hammock, and know they won't
      hold up against the exposed conditions I camp in on some barrier
      islands. So sometimes the tent goes.

      Off topic, but the trick to packing a kayak is to pack in small waterproof
      bags and have them all inside the boat (assuming it's a sit - in
      kayak). Large "portage" bags are inefficient and worthless for kayak
      camping IMHO. Also, things stored on deck are a bad idea - decreases
      stability, increases windage, and prevents many self rescues.

      > Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>
      >Subject: Re: kayak camping with a hammock
      >
      >well, i got away from backpacking cos it is so much easier in a
      >kayak!!! But am now challenged by the 27 lb kayak with no hatches.
      >
      >I was up in the attic this a.m. and brought down my Cascade Designs (?)
      >rectangular, zippered drybag and just by laying it (empty) over the rear
      >deck it looks as if it will fit fine. Unfortunately, the bungees cannot
      >be released to later hook over your gear bag. I'll have to stretch and
      >push the bag under.
      >
      >Another possibility is to lay the bag over the bungees (but the elastic
      >cords will give resistance) and then bungee the bag down. There again,
      >they haven't used the "eye" hooks where i could hook the bungee hooks!
      >
      >A deck bag would fit nicely over the console and over the two small
      >drybags in the footwells. but where to hook it?!!!
      >
      >Basically, I'm trying to make a "day sailer (not a typo)" into an overnighter.
      >
      >It would be a bit difficult to add hardware (and this adds weight, of
      >course) to a boat that doesn't have hatches permitting you to put your
      >hands inside). hmmmmm...i'm wondering if a rivet system would work.
      >
      >i called epic yesterday and was very disappointed. there was one gal
      >there answering the phones who did not know whether they have handles for
      >the boat (there's a ridge and two screws so it MUST be for handles) - it's
      >very slippery. she said they do make plugs for the scuppers but to call
      >back on wed (this was mon) and ask for Linda!!
      >
      >in case you haven't noticed...I'm more of the instant gratification type!!
      >
      >how on earth would you portage a 40 lbs boat with gear inside?? those
      >Primex (?) wheel carts are pretty neat for trails.
      >
      >but if you have ultralight gear (have just started reading Ray Jardine's
      >Beyond Backpacking - it has sewing instructions in the back), it should be
      >fairly easy to put the gear in a light pack - there are backpack drybags -
      >and have that on your back.
      >
      >Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      >Sandy, Coy,
      >
      >My thought was to be able to build a kayak light enough to carry with all
      >gear still in the hull for portages a mile long in the Boundary Waters.
      >I've built the perfect 40 pound wood strip kayak for the trip. >>
      >
      >Sandy Kramer
      >work # 305-471-1913
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
        I agree, Greg, but my kayak camping is done mostly on Florida Rivers and always in groups.

        Plus, the 27 lb, hatchless Epic SOT is a challenge. I just HAVE to try camping from it.

        The rectangular bag I already have is by Seal Line and it does fit on the rear deck.

        I've ordered:

        From Rutabaga: North Water modular system deck bags

        http://www.rutabaga.com/product.asp?pid=1005895

        This will be attached to the bow bungee cording.

        and

        From Altrec Watershed’s Aleutian Deck bag

        http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/15481/#photo
        will go over the center console and the extra space (I am 5' so the pegs are way up front) at the end of the footwells.

        Will use ultra-llight gear. Seating is quite low down so I think that will afford quite a bit of stability.

        I live on a lake so will be able to practice before setting out.

        Greg Welker <gwelker@...> wrote:
        Also, things stored on deck are a bad idea - decreases
        stability, increases windage, and prevents many self rescues.

        Sandy Kramer
        work # 305-471-1913
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
          > I've been kayak camping with years using a hammock. Works great as long
          as
          > you know the areas will have trees. Some barrier islands don't have
          usable
          > trees. I've done the ground set ups for the hammock, and know they won't
          > hold up against the exposed conditions I camp in on some barrier
          > islands. So sometimes the tent goes.

          I've pitched ground setups with Hennessy Hammocks that hold up better than
          tents in high wind...

          Shane
        • Adrnlnjnky
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
            Using a hammock has allowed me to kayak camp for multiday trips in my
            whitewater kayak. The hammock packs so small that I can pull off multiday
            trips in my little play boat. Great Fun

            Tom

            --
            Tom Peltier

            In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
            in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2005
              I have a 9' decked kayak Kiwi Lobo that has a 28" beam, but I KNOW I could fit enough camping gear in there. that boat weighs 38 lbs....viz the 44 lb Hobies and the 64 lb WS Freedom SOT...the idea of loading and unloading a 27 lb boat of my Highlander, makes this quest worthwhile.

              Adrnlnjnky <Adrnlnjnky@...> wrote:Using a hammock has allowed me to kayak camp for multiday trips in my