Re: Scouts and the AT

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.F. Hill" <nil_dog@y...>
      wrote:
      > What advise do any of you folks that have
      > done the AT before have?

      10 miles per day carrying food for a week will be difficult for the
      boys. As others have said, make sure you have an experienced crew.

      > Where can I get
      > maps and other information too?

      Check out http://www.whiteblaze.net/ They have everything you need to
      know about the AT.

      How many folks can go in a group?

      Small groups. You can 'cheat' a little by going in two groups and
      meeting up at your designated camping site (maintain the separate
      group structure). I doubt the shelters will be very crowded during
      the week in the fall, so perhaps you won't have to avoid them. (They
      do have a lot of mice!)

      Are tents allowed? Under the stars on the ground?
      Yes.

      This said, we took a group of experienced boys from the base of
      Standing Indian mountain to the Nantahala Outdoor Center. We ended the
      trip with a rafting trip. (Stayed at the shelter about .9 miles from
      NOC. Left early in the morning, rafted, and travelled home that
      afternoon.) It was a memorable trip, and the boys had a good time.
      Many good views (and hard climbs).