Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Scouts and the AT

  • tjarrell@cox.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2005
      Just came off a weekend jaunt over Three Ridges up here in Virginia with our Philmont training crew. Most of the trail was climbing or decending. Conditioning was the biggest factor. The sports players were able to hold a 2+ mph pace for an hour and then rest 30 minutes. The non-sports group were sub mile/hour and used up all their water (due to being on the trail much longer). Gear is important. Broken in boot (not tennis shoes), wicking socks, and hiking poles made the trek a challenge and not a death march. Most were 15-17, though two were 14 and did well. Bottom line is that you might want to do some practice hikes on flat ground (we did) and limit the AT to boys who won't quit on the trail.

      Tom
      From: "zippydooda" <zippydooda@...>
      Date: 2005/08/08 Mon AM 10:22:01 EDT
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com