Fw: Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: loop hike info

  • carterm@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 6:58 AM
      Coy,

      They have a map posted on the information sign there, but not for the taking.  There is an office in Standing Indian campground, but I don't know if they have the map or not.  You could probably find their number and give them a call.  You used to be able to stop in at the Wayah District ranger station and get the USFS map of Standing Indian, which has all of the trails marked on it.  I haven't been there in a long time, but I remember that there were signs marking the turn off of Hwy 64 between Franklin and Standing Indian.  I don't think it's always manned.  The best bet is a probably the backpacking store in Franklin.  They are located right off of Hwy 64, at the exit for 441 south, like you are headed towards Atlanta.  After you exit south, they are on the left at the next light.  I think they are called Three Eagle Outfitters.  It's a large wooden building with a green roof, roughly across the street from McDonalds.
      I'm in Raleigh, and most of the backpacking stores here carry it as well.

      Michael