loop hike info

  • slowhike
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
      coy... i`ve never had any trouble going up KC trail, but the only
      places there could be confusion (that i remember) would be finding
      the trail in the camp ground (not realy a problem), or where the
      trail comes up beside a gravel paking area,beside a gravel road (but
      you can see the trail continuing strait ahead). at the deep gap
      intersection you will see recycle/trash cans (good place to get rid
      of lunch trash?). no shelter at deep gap. go left (north) to the
      standing indian shelter. there are 2 more shelters before you get to
      the long branch trail. if memory serves me right, it seems like they
      are about 6 or 7 miles apart. i`m a pretty casual hiker/camper, so i
      liked taking 3 nights for this loop (each night spent at or near one
      of the three shelters). it`s been 4 years since i did the whole loop,
      but it seems like we realy had to pay attention to the map as we
      approached long branch trail. i don`t remember there being many ,if
      any signs naming the side trails. another note about parking. if you
      get to the backcountry information center & there`s not much place
      left to park, you can drive back into the campground & park in the
      spaces near the amputheater & start your hike from there. actualy you
      can take a short cut through the amputheater, up to the KC trail &
      take a left to go to deep gap. if you park in the campground, i think
      you may need to stop & check in at the office & get a parking pass
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
        Thanks slowhike, I'll keep all this in mind. Is I was surfing
        hunting info I thought I saw a pic of a sign that read Glasmine(sp?)
        where the Long Branch Trail cuts off the AT. Anyways I'll find my
        way back down one way or the other LOL. I would prefer a more
        lesiurly hike too but wont have that luxery. I hate reading about
        all the retired hikers, specially when they seem to hike a lot
        faster than me but dont have too:')

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
        wrote:
        > coy... i`ve never had any trouble going up KC trail, but the only
        > places there could be confusion (that i remember) would be finding
        > the trail in the camp ground (not realy a problem), or where the
        > trail comes up beside a gravel paking area,beside a gravel road
        (but
        > you can see the trail continuing strait ahead). at the deep gap
        > intersection you will see recycle/trash cans (good place to get
        rid
        > of lunch trash?). no shelter at deep gap. go left (north) to the
        > standing indian shelter. there are 2 more shelters before you get
        > the long branch trail. if memory serves me right, it seems like
        they
        > are about 6 or 7 miles apart. i`m a pretty casual hiker/camper, so
        > liked taking 3 nights for this loop (each night spent at or near
        one
        > of the three shelters). it`s been 4 years since i did the whole
        loop,
        > but it seems like we realy had to pay attention to the map as we
        > approached long branch trail. i don`t remember there being
        many ,if
        > any signs naming the side trails. another note about parking. if
        you
        > get to the backcountry information center & there`s not much place
        > left to park, you can drive back into the campground & park in the
        > spaces near the amputheater & start your hike from there. actualy
        you
        > can take a short cut through the amputheater, up to the KC trail &
        > take a left to go to deep gap. if you park in the campground, i
        think
        > you may need to stop & check in at the office & get a parking pass
      • Michael B. Carter
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
          Coy,

          Yes, there is a sign at that reads Glassmine Gap where Long Branch Trail
          joins the AT. I just looked at a picture I took of it about a month
          ago. There is a blue double blue blaze on a tree next to the Long Branch
          Trail entrance there (will be on your left coming from Big Spring
          Gap). This trail is very easy to follow.

          I also have never really had a problem following the Kimsey Creek
          Trail. As slowhike said, I think the only problem areas are at the ends of
          the trail - the campground and the Deep Gap area. There is another trail
          (Lower Ridge Trail) that leaves the campground, but it will still take you
          to the AT. Instead of going to Deep Gap first, it goes directly up
          Standing Indian Mountain. It is a more strenuous hike than Kimsey Creek
          Trail. It is less heavily used, and therefore more difficult to
          follow. It is easy to tell which one you are on. Kimsey Creek Trail is
          fairly level and follows the creek for several miles. Lower Ridge Trail
          begins climbing almost immediately.

          Standing Indian is one of my favorite places to hike, and any of the trails
          on the "inside" of the loop can be used to get back down to the road if you
          need to bail for some reason. The forest service map would be a good idea
          to have if you do this. Some of the main trails have side trails that take
          you up to logging fields and terminate. The blazes aren't always clear
          about which fork to take. The AT is easy to follow, as is Long Branch
          Trail, so you should be fine. with your planned hike.

          Please give us a trip report when you return. Have fun.

          Michael

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
            Thanks Michael, glad to hear how the Long Branch Trail is marked. I
            am hoping there are some maps (even rudimentary) at the information
            place I plan to park. If I have to I will park where slowhike
            suggested (inside the campground)in case the information place parking
            is full. Hopefully, I will give a trip report with pics when I return.
            I guess any left turn off the AT (if northbound) will lead back down
            in the general vacinity of the road/parking areas.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael B. Carter"

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
              Coy,

              If you need some help with maps, I can work you up some topo stip
              maps to email to you that fit on 8.5x11 inch paper, in jpeg format.
              Let me know... also if you can handle them being zipped into one file
              for transfer (it is a little easier that way). I'm guessing it will
              take 4 to 6 sheets. From what I remember the way you are going,
              counterclockwise from Standing Indian Campground is the easiest to
              follow, especially with the maps. The Kimsey Creek Trail sometimes
              gives people a problem, there is a sharp right turn early on that
              gets you on Kimsey Creek, near the end it kind of disappears at a
              campsite (or something like that) and you have to know to keep
              walking uphill until you hit a forest service road and continue
              uphill on it until it deadends at Deep Gap, NC. Like someone just
              posted there is a sign at Glassmine Gap where the trail back to
              Standing Indian Campground deadends on the AT. There is some great
              vistas on that hike, you will enjoy it.

              Dave

> [...]
              > > you up to logging fields and terminate. The blazes aren't always
              clear
              > > about which fork to take. The AT is easy to follow, as is Long
              Branch
              > > Trail, so you should be fine. with your planned hike.
              > >
              > > Please give us a trip report when you return. Have fun.
              > >

              > > Michael
              > >

              > > At 02:28 AM 8/8/05 +0000, you wrote:
              > > >Thanks slowhike, I'll keep all this in mind. Is I was surfing
              > > >hunting info I thought I saw a pic of a sign that read Glasmine
              (sp?)
              > > >where the Long Branch Trail cuts off the AT. Anyways I'll find
              my
              > > >way back down one way or the other LOL. I would prefer a more
              > > >lesiurly hike too but wont have that luxery. I hate reading
              about
              > > >all the retired hikers, specially when they seem to hike a lot

              t=ms&k=Camping+tents&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camp
              er&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=3eRZQ8hEhZ1LRCeRGfJTQQ>Camping

              > > >tents

              t=ms&k=Camping+hammock&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+ca
              mper&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=KIuEz1TZvesXEoemopZROQ>Camping

              > > >hammock

              t=ms&k=Happy+camper&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+campe
              r&w4=Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=-RhCsbgVQysCpnb--OohoQ>Happy

              > > >camper

              t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Camping+tents&w2=Camping+hammock&w3=Happy+camper&w4
              =Outdoors&c=4&s=72&.sig=U4l_oRF_lUViaFPRQ2xBZQ>Outdoors

              > > > *

              > > > *
              > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              > > >

              > > >----------
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
                Don't go to a lot of trouble but any maps/info you could e-mail me
                would be appreaciated. May go again this winter and you can join in
                on the fun. I expect the views would be even beter in the winter but
                it should be nice this time around.

                Coy Boy

                > Coy,
                >
                > If you need some help with maps, I can work you up some topo stip
                > maps to email to you that fit on 8.5x11 inch paper, in jpeg format.
                > Let me know... also if you can handle them being zipped into one file
                > for transfer (it is a little easier that way). I'm guessing it will
                > take 4 to 6 sheets. From what I remember the way you are going,
                > counterclockwise from Standing Indian Campground is the easiest to
                > follow, especially with the maps. The Kimsey Creek Trail sometimes
                > gives people a problem, there is a sharp right turn early on that
                > gets you on Kimsey Creek, near the end it kind of disappears at a
                > campsite (or something like that) and you have to know to keep
                > walking uphill until you hit a forest service road and continue
                > uphill on it until it deadends at Deep Gap, NC. Like someone just
                > posted there is a sign at Glassmine Gap where the trail back to
                > Standing Indian Campground deadends on the AT. There is some great
                > vistas on that hike, you will enjoy it.
                >
                > Dave
              • Joseph Vossen
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2005
                  I've done this loop many times over the years and I *still* get turned
                  around trying to get back to my car when I get off at the end of the
                  KC trail. IIRC (and it has been a few years, you need to hang a right
                  just as you get off the trail (tail head sign will be on your left)

                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2005
                    > Coy,
                    >
                    > If you need some help with maps, I can work you up some topo stip
                    > maps to email to you that fit on 8.5x11 inch paper, in jpeg
                    format.
                    > Let me know... also if you can handle them being zipped into one
                    file
                    > for transfer (it is a little easier that way). I'm guessing it
                    will
                    > take 4 to 6 sheets. From what I remember the way you are going,
                    > counterclockwise from Standing Indian Campground is the easiest to
                    > follow, especially with the maps.

                    National Geographic has finally made maps covering the areas south of
                    the Smokies, including Standing Indian. Dave, do you think that
                    these are good enough to use in this area? I was considering getting
                    them, but I see here that you're using the regular topos. Was that
                    because you found the others insufficient?

                    Doug Frost
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9, 2005
                      Doug,

                      I haven't kept up with the latest maps so I'm not sure what maps that
                      National Geographics are making. I've had 7.5 minute topo maps on
                      disk for that area for a few years, I just use them... have both
                      Maptech's and the old TOPO! disks. Maptech's does better for
                      creating exportable tracks and TOPO! does better for print outs, but
                      mine are 4 or 5 years old.

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@a...>