9992Re: Loop hike info?

  • Coy
    Aug 6, 2005
      This site gives the same hike in reverse. it answered my questions
      about SI and AM

      http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/eastern/nant
      ahala_basin.html

      you have to scroll down a bit.

      "THREE-DAY WALK. 24 miles. A good backpacking trip starts at the
      Backcountry Information Center, on the Long Branch Trail to the AT.
      Turn right (south) onto the AT and follow it over Albert Mountain
      [Fig. 34(12)], through Bear Pen Gap, over Big Butt, down to Mooney
      Gap [Fig. 34(18)], passing Carter Gap and Beech Gap [Fig. 34(25)],
      climbing Standing Indian Mountain, and descending to Deep Gap [Fig.
      34(14)]. Turn right on Kimsey Creek Trail and return to the
      Backcountry Information Center. This is a pleasant three-day walk.
      There are shelters at Big Spring Gap, Carter Gap, and Standing
      Indian (near Deep Gap). This is a popular loop, so shelters may be
      filled. Walked in early June, the stretch up Standing Indian
      Mountain is a botanical garden. The Catawba rhododendron and
      mountain laurel arch over the trail to form a floral tunnel."

      Any reason for picking one direction over the other? Should be
      plenty of water along the way. Marta, (or Michael) you were there
      recently. How bad were the bugs? I plan on using my homemade Speer
      and the 30 F Wisp down bag wraped around the hammock. I havent
      tried to rig up a bug net but all that is exposed is my face and i
      can use some bug dop if needed.

      Coy Boy

      > Thanks for all this info Bill, Michael and Marta. From these
      three
      > replies i flle confidant we can find our way. I like the idea of
      > making it a 24 miler and no road walking. Do I have it right.
      > Park at the backcountry information sign just past the Standing
      > Indian Campground interance. From here hike through the Standing
      > Indian Campground and hit the Kimsey Creek trail. Follow this
      trail
      > aproximatly 4 miles and hang a left on the AT at Deep Gap (this is
      > shelter as well?) Hike aproximatly 18 miles north on the AT (not
      > literally north)untilll it crosses Long Branch Trail. Take the
      left
      > and it is about a 2 mile hike back to the car.
      >
      > Question. I believe it does but does this section include (from
      > Rick site) "A 750 foot climb up Standing Indian was a pleasant
      > morning stroll. The trails were very well made and the climb not
      > particularly difficult. We were told that the view from the top
      of
      > the mountain is the best in all of SW North Carolina. We enjoyed
      > it. Perhaps we could have enjoyed it more." and Mt Albert?
      >
      > Again thanks for all the replies. It was very helpful.
      >
      > Coy Boy
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic