9988Re: [Hammock Camping] Loop hike info?

  • Michael B. Carter
    Aug 6, 2005
      The loop hike that I usually do in Standing Indian is to park at the
      backcountry information sign (free parking here) across from Long Branch
      Trail. To get there, take follow the sings like you are going to Standing
      Indian Campground, but don't take the right turn into the campground
      itself. Drive on shortly past the right turn into Standing Indian
      Campground , and you will see the backcountry information sign on the
      right. You can then hike through the campground area to Kimsey Creek
      trail. Follow it about 4 miles to Deep Gap, where you will take the AT to
      the left. This is southerly in direction but heading north an the AT. To
      exit out, take the Long Branch Trail about 2 miles directly back to the
      car. Almost no road hiking this way. The total loop is a little over 24
      miles. You can continue on to Rock Gap, and hike back by the road if you
      prefer more distance.

      Michael

      At 02:18 PM 8/6/05 +0000, you wrote:
      >John if you happen to be reading this or anybed else who may know...
      >
      >Rick would be the guy to ask but he is out hicking and may not
      >return in time to ask. I found a little info here but not enough to
      >head out and know exactly which trials are which to make it a loop
      >hike.
      >
      ><http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm>http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm
      >
      >I will be in one vehicle so we will park at either Standing Indian
      >campground or Rock Gap parking lot and road walk the mile or so
      >between where the trials start/end. best I can tell it is a
      >aproximatly 30 miles. They started at Standing Indian and hiked
      >couterclockwise to come out at Rock Gap. Anybody hiked in this area
      >and know the trail names etc I would need to know. We leave a week
      >from tomorrow after church so we wont have a lot of time to hike
      >Sunday evening. I need to return home Tuesday night so I can be at
      >work the following Wed morning. this hike looks like it will bearly
      >fit into my time window with no time to waste piddling (about a 4
      >hour drive) either on the road or while hiking.
      >
      >Coy Boy

      > *

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic