9986Re: [Hammock Camping] Loop hike info?

  • Bill Fornshell
    Aug 6, 2005
      Coy, I will assume you do not have a map of the area.
      I have an old NC AT Map and it seems like it would be
      easy to do the loop you are talking about. If you
      start at Standing Indian Campground and take the
      Kimsey Creek Trail south or south west - I would guess
      up stream, ( Kimsey Creek looks like it flows through
      or really close to Standing Indian Campground) anyway
      you will head toward GA and the AT. The NC AT trail
      guide says it is 3.7 miles to the AT. It looks like
      you hit the AT at or near Deep Gap, NC (82.4 miles
      North of Springer Mt. Go North young man and you go
      to AT mile 103.1 N-from Springer Mt. at Rock Gap and
      USFS Road 67. If you have a car here you are done if
      you have a car at Standing Indian Campground it is 1.4
      miles back to the Campground. Looks to be more or
      less 24 miles if you walk back to Standing Indian
      Campground for your car.

      I hope this helps or if you have any other specific
      questions ask.

      Bill in Texas

      http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

      > I will be in one vehicle so we will park at either
      > Standing Indian
      > campground or Rock Gap parking lot and road walk the
      > mile or so
      > between where the trials start/end. best I can tell
      > it is a
      > aproximatly 30 miles. They started at Standing
      > Indian and hiked
      > couterclockwise to come out at Rock Gap. Anybody
      > hiked in this area
      > and know the trail names etc I would need to know.
      > We leave a week
      > from tomorrow after church so we wont have a lot of
      > time to hike
      > Sunday evening. I need to return home Tuesday night
      > so I can be at
      > work the following Wed morning. this hike looks
      > like it will bearly
      > fit into my time window with no time to waste
      > piddling (about a 4
      > hour drive) either on the road or while hiking.
      >
      > Coy Boy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic