9978Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock stands

  • Randy & Cheyanne
    Aug 5, 2005
      Jeff,

      I use a Hammock Bliss Double and a Single as my "yard" hammocks with a
      cheapy stand that is supposed to be for use with "spreader bar" hammock
      (should be called "EASY-OVER" Hammocks ;-). The Bliss is similar
      enough to the Speer to get an idea of how it would work from my ravings
      below.

      When I use the HB double on the stand, I just tie the hammock to the
      chain hooks using something like the hennesy knot/lashing (writing this
      I suddenly thought it might be better to just tie the ropes to a chain
      link without a hook, which would "capture" the ropes better). With the
      Hammock Bliss there was an initial big stretching of the ropes the
      first time it was hung and I piled in that led to a low, low hammock.
      After that I have just tied off the hammock so it is almost
      horizontally straight across from the upper most holes in the
      "uprights" of the stand. Imagine the stand as a sort of squashed "V"
      and the hammock is a line across the top of the "V" creating something
      like the Roman numeral 5. Was that clear as mud? Tie the hammock
      tight and straight and the "give" of the stand, and open design of the
      "V" will get you very close to the proper sag (proper "sag" is what is
      comfortable for you). BTW, I have never gotten my Hennessy Safari
      Deluxe Asym hammock to work with my "cheapy" stand, the uprights aren't
      tall enough or far enough apart or both.

      If you have your choice and don't already have that other stand, make
      a pipe stand like here:

      http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/HomeMade%20Stand.htm

      or:

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

      These kits would be a little less work, too:

      http://www.hammocks.com/cart/iso.cfm/detail=product_listing/sku=AC003
      http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=118

      Or if you don't want to deal with creating your own, order a stand for
      a mayan hammock, which should have longer and stronger uprights like
      this one:

      http://www.hammocks.com/cart/shopper.cfm/action=view/key=BM011
      http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=135

      Or just go wild:

      http://www.seasidehammocks.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=35
      http://www.hammacher.com/publish/
      10629.asp?source=FROOGLE&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_ite=10629#

      enjoy,

      Randy

      On Friday, Aug 5, 2005, at 18:44 US/Central, jwj32542 wrote:

      > Why do some stands say they're for hammocks with spreader bars only?
      > It doesn't seem like they'd be too unstable for one without
      > spreaders...are they too shallow to accept the amount of sag? Anyone
      > tried using a Speer on a stand like that? Jeff

      arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to
      skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other,
      body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what
      a ride!"
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic