9906Re: [Hammock Camping] the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing

    Aug 1, 2005
      David,

      No problem about joining in. The only way I know to find it is to try
      it. I used pieces of webbing material sewn tightly on both sides and
      past both edges of the webbing to act as drip stoppers, but only saw
      limited success. Everthing I tried did some good, but in my tests the
      sock put them all to shame. Before the tests I would have bet money
      that the every one of the ideas I had would work better than the socks
      and not require the user to do anything. A D-ring or an oval ring might
      work where the 1.5" circular descender ring didn't because they might
      be 'steep enough' to overcome the sag angle of the hammock.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gear_collector"
      <dwadsworth@m...> wrote:
      > Sorry to be jumping in the conversation at this point, but would
      > something as simple as a thick rubber band looped tightly around the
      > hammock line do the trick? I envision a large and wide rubber band
      > wrapped around the line many times in the same spot to build up a sort
      > of rubber washer, making the water have to travel uphill to get by.
      > The band couldn't become saturated and it would seem the water would
      > be forced to drip of the lower end, or am I all wet on this one?
      >
      > David
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic