9885the ongoing saga of wet-weather testing
- Jul 30, 2005It seemed like the perfect opportunity--heavy rains possible off and
on all weekend. (Alas, I missed some real downpours during the week
when I was at work.) My son had eaten enough Pringles to give me the
requisite plastic caps.
The rain started this morning as I was getting home from doing
errands. I stabbed a little slit in the center of two Pringles
lids. I quickly pitched the tarp and hammock in the woods behind the
house, feeding the hammock straps through the slits in the process.
I did not attempt to make the slit fit the strap, or to seal it
against moisture. Of course I needed to make the testing conditions
as realistic as possible so I grabbed a book and got into the
hammock. To keep slugs from gathering on my sandals (see the post
from a number of weeks ago about that subject), I hung a plastic bag
from a caribiner at the head of the hammock, just above the knot, and
put the sandals inside.
At first the plastic caps seemed to be working. Water was hitting
them and dripping off. As the rain got heavier, though, water was
continuing down past the caps and dripping off at the point where the
D ring holding the bug net cord attaches. Because it was the middle
of the day, I could clearly see the line at my feet and could see the
exact path of the water. The storm was not tropical-storm intensity,
but it was respectable and I could see that the plastic caps were not
working. I managed to get in a good nap anyway.
When I got up from the nap and took the sandals out of the plastic
bag, there was around half a cup of water puddled in the bag.
Apparently it had traveled down the caribiner, down the bag's
handles, and right into the bag itself. Which beats having it run
into the hammock, but it's still not the solution I'm looking for.
I'm going to mull things over tonight and perhaps get to try
something else out tomorrow, assuming we get another storm.
- Next post in topic >>