9667[Hammock Camping] Re: 2nd Outing (tree distance)

    Jun 27, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, hiking@w... wrote:

      > Hmmm, interesting thought. That may have solved the problem with my
      feet
      > being higher (much) than my head. Even though I had the straps at
      the same
      > height on both trees, that doesn't mean the trees were level to each
      > other.
      >
      > As to the tension, may have had something to do with the amount of
      force
      > pushing downward from under the ridgeline. ;-)
      >
      > mike

      Things get more complicated if you don't tie it off with the same
      amount of webbing/rope length on each end of the hammock, this is
      sometimes refered to as centering the hammock. If it is not centered
      the short end tends to be higher when you are in the hammock even if
      it is level when you aren't in the hammock... this is almost as
      much 'fun' as using webbing/rope that has a lot of stretch in it when
      it is loaded but returns to its original length when you remove the
      load (ie, get in and out of the hammock).

      Dave
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic