      From: uluheman [mailto:UluheMan@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 5:25 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping sewing with walking foot

      I haven't seen anyone mention my favorite sewing aid: the walking
      foot. It's a small, expensive gizmo that may or may not be available
      as an accessory for your particular sewing machine. It replaces the
      usual presser foot and serves as a set of upper feed dogs, exactly
      synchronized to the lower feed dogs (which are the only ones most
      people ever use). Because silnylon is so slick, the lower feed dogs
      may feed the lower piece of fabric, but slippage may (will!) occur
      between the lower and upper pieces of fabric you're trying to sew,
      which causes plenty of problems. With a walking foot, you should get
      nice and even stitches because the walking foot is feeding the upper
      piece of fabric at the same rate as the lower piece, minimizing
      slippage between the two pieces. No need to pull the fabric through
      manually, either; just let the machine do the work at it's own pace,
      as it was designed to do.

      Brandon in Honolulu

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher"
      <geoflyfisher@y...> wrote:
      > Robi,
      >
      > I am always glad to see someone learning how to sew their own
      gear.