9473Re: New Member

  • Risk
    Jun 11, 2005
      Michael,

      Welcome to hammocking, especially the sport of cold weather
      hammocking. I don't have much to add to your questions about the
      Hennessy system, because I have not had a chance to try it.

      As far as one semi-scientific method to do some testing, you may enjoy
      taking a look through my cold weather hammock tests:

      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock.htm

      I have been out overnight in tempertures as cold as they make them in
      Ohio - and I am sure you will be getting much lower temperatures to
      play with...

      Let me see, -15 F translates to -26 C, not quite the -30 you are
      interested in...

      I was able to collect some reproducable data using an IR thermometer
      which immediately senses the temperature of a surface. Using this, I
      was able to take the temperature of several of the layers in the
      hammock system. Perhaps something like it can be used with the
      Supershelter.

      One technique which is important is to make sure the surface tested is
      fairly dark - definately not white or shiny. The other important
      point is to have the IR thermometer warm just before using it. If
      cold soaked, it will not read accurately.

      Again, welcome to the fray. I look forward to your reports this winter.

      Risk

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael"
      <dansferd_observatory@y...> wrote:
      > I just purchased a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with the complete
      > Supershelter System. I hope to achieve some good 4-season results
      > with it.
      >
      > I've read several of the available "Hennessy Hammock reviews" on the
      > internet with some very mixed feelings. Being a scientist, I'm used
      > to testing under much more controlled standards. While there is
      > certainly useful information to ponder about the hammock itself, some
      > of it is not worth the read. There is not a single bit of research
      > I've come across that offers solid data regarding the Supershelter
      > System offered with this hammock.
      >
      > Here in Saskatchewan, real world 4-season use means temperatures that
      > go below freezing in 3 out of 4 seasons. Winter conditions are some
      > of the harshest and brutal in North America. Let's see how this
      > system, rigged with a space blanket as an additional accessory, fares
      > with my -30 degree celsius sleeping bag (overbag and two fleece
      > garments layered) fares in the future.
      >
      > In the meantime, my MEC -7 degree sleeping bag should fare to its
      > temperature rating without the Overcover. If not, I would see that
      > something is flawed with the system. I will be as objective as
      > possible.
      >

      > Regards,
      >

      > Michael
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic