9461Re: [Hammock Camping] New Member

  • Bill Fornshell
    Jun 10, 2005
      Hi, I love the discussion on how to stay warm in a
      Hammock. I use "R" rating as my base line. My
      current "0" degree set-up is a home made "Ultra-Light
      Down Air Mattress - DAM" - and a home made "Down Top
      Cover". I get about 3.5 inches of loft in the DAM and
      have 4" of loft in my Top Cover. I made both the DAM
      and Down Top Cover to have replaceable Down baffles so
      I can change or replace all the baffles with other
      baffles that have more or less Down. This feature
      lets me tailor the amount of Down for what ever
      temperature I might encounter.

      I put this system in my Hammock. The Hammock is a
      Speer custom made silk hammock. This gives me 3.5 to
      4 inches of Down all around me.

      Has my system been tested. No, so far only down to
      about 20 degrees. I had a cold weather test plan for
      winter 2005/2005. Cancer caused me to postpone my
      test plan. Cancer is dead and the side effects are
      slowly going away. I hope to roll over my cold
      weather test plan to winter 2005/2006.

      Bill in Texas

      Discover Yahoo!