934Re: Hammock Camping Sewing tips for ripstop nylon?

  • robi dawson
    Apr 1, 2003
      Ray, you are several steps ahead of me when it comes to making tings, but i seem to be a step ahead in the research department.

      take a look here

      http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm

      I was in contact with Penny over a year ago - did not occur to me until after I made my early post today... - She was extremely helpful and friendly.

      Good luck and let us all know how things turn out

      Robi

      At 06:01 PM 4/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
      I recently  located an old  sewing machine (Elna #1, aka grasshopper)
      and sewed silicon coated ripstop nylon for the first time last night.
      I made a 6'x9' tarp with some additional material renforcing the
      corners, but the stiching was somewhat irregular.  I eventually got a
      better looking stitch when I helped pull it through the machine (a
      little) rather than risisting the pull (a little) as I had done
      practicing on some thicker fabric.

      Anybody have any tips?  Right now the correct needle size, cutting the
      material straight, and holding the material together along the
      intended seam is a bit of a mystery to me.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      18544d.jpg
      185606.jpg