9332Re: fabric alert

  • dlfrost_1
    Jun 1, 2005
      > The bugnet-type stuff at my local Walmarts doesn't look like it
      would
      > stop small gnats and stuff, just the skeeters. It's only .77/yd,
      > though! I've found lots of stretchy muslin-type material in the
      bin
      > that works great, though.

      The small netting--Tulle if I remember the name correctly--works ok
      for forest bug netting. (It's what my brother used on his starter
      hammock just to see if the thing would work out for him.) But I
      wouldn't trust it canoeing or yakking, as it probably won't keep out
      sand fleas. But for someone who wants to try out hammocking it's
      readily available and dirt cheap. (An application of Permathin would
      help.)

      The "Nylon Netting" that WalMart sells is too open for bug netting,
      but should be good for structural stuff: supporting insulation in an
      undercover, or perhaps holding pads together like Speer's new product
      does. Very cheap, weighs damn near nothing.

      The nylon "sheers" stuff sometimes seen in fabric store bargain bins
      is as effective as no-seeum netting, but allows less airflow. It
      might be useful as a no-condensation wind barrier in cooler weather.

      Just throwing some ideas out... :-)

      Doug Frost
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic