      From: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of stereologen
      Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:33 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] Alternative to Nylon?

      > Tom, I've tested 1.9 oz/yd2 to 375 lbs w/ me bouncing up & down-the only
      > thing that happened was it pulled the bolts out of the wall of my
      This may be a new line of business: Demolition hammocks! :-)

      > I recommend at least 700 lb breaking strength polypropylene or polyester
      > webbing straps and it's buyer beware since many straps for sale are much
      > weaker and you can't tell just by looking at them. Also note that it's
      > practically impossible to visibly distinguish between polypropylene,
      > polyester, and nylon webbing, but you'll want to avoid nylon due to it's
      > high-memory stretch.

      The only source I've found for the webbing, is to buy luggage straps.
      The ones I've looked at are declared both for fiber and strength, so I
      should be able to find a suitable one. There is a 1" strap with a
      breaking strenght of 500kg (about 1100lbs), and I thought I'd get the
      webbing from that one. There is also a 350kg strap (~770lbs), and
      based on what you say, that should do as well, I guess.

      There are straps made from all three polymers; nylon is not the thing,
      but should I choose PP or polyester, if there is a choice?

      > Making your own hammock is both fun and rewarding! FYI, we sell camping
      > hammock kits with everything needed to make your own-so we've done
      most of
      > the work for you. We also have the recommended webbing straps in cut
      > lengths.
      I did consider this. However, with the shipping, customs handling fees
      and taxes, the price is nearly doubled by the time it gets here. I may
      opt for a kit or finnished product later, but for now, I just want to
      find out if this type of hammock is as comfortable as everybody says.

      > All the best with your project..Ed

      Thank you!

      Finally; Thank you all for kind advice!

      Best regards,