9255Re: [Hammock Camping] Down sleeping bag?

  • dlfrost_1
    May 23, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lipay <hiking@w...> wrote:
      > Yeah, I figured it would work well during spring and fall, not so
      > sure about winter since you need insulation on top and bottom. Any
      > experiences?
      >
      > mike

      Well a bag works better in the winter for the same reason it works on
      the ground: close insulation sealed all the way around you. But you
      still need underinsulation to replace the ground/pad, and so far the
      most workable solution for cold weather is hanging a bag of
      insulation under the hammock. By the time you've rigged the
      insulation so it stays close enough to work well you're probably
      squeezing the down bag, so why not just bring the underinsulator all
      the way around--making _it_ the bag--and just have a lightweight
      quilt on top of you inside? That's where we are right now.

      I'm messing with the down air matress (DAM) as a below-freezing
      solution. There are some problems doing this so I don't know yet if
      I can make it work. I'll know more in six months though. :-)

      Doug Frost
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic