9055Re: hammock weight vs tent

  • Eric Sandberg
    May 10, 2005
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg" > The full
      > system I've been using weighs just under 4 lbs. It
      > > consists of an insulated hammock, my quilt, a bug net, and a
      tarp
      > > (also my poncho).
      >
      > I'd be interested in pics and details if you have them!
      >
      > What did you use for insulation? How much loft in the quilt, what
      > insulation and what design? Tarp size? All the goodies...
      >
      > Jeff

      I don't have any photos right now (maybe later on), but I can
      explain it.

      The hammock is made of 1.9 oz ripstop, it has 3 layers (about 2.25 -
      2.5 inches) of "continuous fiber insulation" (read that Hollowfill
      3D. OWF cannot say the name in print, but that's what it is) with a
      1.1 oz ripstop underlayer. The insulation is about 40" X 40". The
      hammock ends are tied via a nail knot with - I think it's called T-
      100 line. It's 1/8" from West Marine. This line is also the
      hanging straps. I like having the integrated insulation all year
      round - much lighter and more comfortable than a pad. I suppose
      that if I ever had to sleep on the ground I'd regret that choice.
      But then, since I've taken to a hammock, I've never slept on the
      ground.

      The tarp/poncho is 1.1 oz silnylon - 10' X 5'. The quilt is
      also "coninuous fiber" (2 layers) with 1.1 oz ripstop fabric. Add
      some 1" webbing as tree savers and no-see-um netting and we're good
      to 30 F. I've actually been to 25, but probably wouldn't count on
      it for a long hike - this was in my back yard.

      I also made a travel pod - a cocoon/bivy like thing that encases you
      in 1.1 oz ripstop for when it gets really cold. 'been to 7 F in
      that.

      You can probably see that I stole a lot of ideas from folks here -
      especially Rick (brilliant fellow that he is) and some from the
      folks at www.backpackinglight.com.

      I've also started to do some recreational tree climbing and am
      really looking forward to sleeping 30' up a tree while hiking. I
      think I'll swap out the T-100 line for something a bit stouter when
      I do that. T-100 is rated at 900 lbs, but they recommend at least
      5,000 when you're that far up. That will most likely add a pound to
      the hammock weight.

      If I get some photos (I'm awfully camera shy) I'll try to figure out
      how to post them.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic