905Re: Hammock Camping Near Disaster!

  • geoflyfisher
    Mar 24, 2003
      Regarding the cause/anatomy/etc...

      the rip is at the end of the loop velcro. It is perpendicular to the
      edge of the fabric and extends about 6 inches into the hammock.

      My guess is the cause was the hook velcro of my bug net. I had sewn
      hook velcro all the way to the end of the bug net, somewhat
      differently than you suggest. It is a little more form fitting to
      the opening of the hammock. I'd guess that the hooked together
      velcro on the bug net somewhere outside the overhand knot of the
      hammock got stuck and as I sat down on the edge of the hammock the
      hook velcro, or the sharp edge on that velcro, acted as a knife,
      starting a rip.

      At this point, I am considering doing something different with the
      velcro for the poncho/insulator, so I may just chuck the material for
      the hammock and peel off the existing velcro to re-use it. Patching
      the material might work, but for the 12 bucks to replace the
      material, it seems like too much work to patch and then worry.

      <><

> [...]
      > oriented--along the fabric edge, perpendicular to the fabric edge,
      etc.
      > Does the features of the rip suggest how it tore--I don't even know
      what
      > torn ripstop is suppose to like.
      >
      > Were you using 1.9 ripstop, or it's lighter 1.1 oz cousin? I've
      had 1.1
      > ripstop tear from normal use--but never 1.9.
      >
      > Tying the end knot by pulling the long edges a few inches longer
      than
      > the rest of the hammock shouldn't put undue stress on the long
      edges--if
      > anything, it puts more stress on the centerline of the hammock, not
      the
      > long edges. And the velcro shouldn't be the culprit either (FYI,
      > sometimes my velcro stops just shy of the end knot and other times
      it
      > disappears into the end knot, but it never extends completely
      through
      > the knots). As far as user weight goes, I've tested a 1.9 ripstop
      > hammock to 375 lbs w/ me wildly bouncing up and down --the only
      thing
      > that happened was the 1/2" steel bolts I was tied to pulled out of
      the
      > wall! I have many customers who weigh more than you and they've not
      > reported any problems. I'm currently using a 1.9 oz ripstop hammock
      > that has been slept in over 400 times--that's over 3,200 hours,
      with no
      > sign of failure or damage (I weigh 170 lbs). In fact, that's the
      same
      > hammock I tested to 375 lbs earlier.
      >
      > What I'm trying to say here is it seems unlikely the fabric failed
      from
      > normal use only. I would carefully consider sources other than the
      > fabric or the design. I'm assuming the fabric was sound to begin
      with.
      > Were you using seconds--fabric seconds are usually OK since defects
      are
      > generally cosmetic, but defects in the fabric strength can exist.
      >
      > How was the hammock packed/transported after the last use--is it
      > possible it could have been cut or ripped accidentally. Did the
      hammock
      > snag on anything while making or breaking camp, like a sharp stick
      or
      > rock--I've often worried that mine will get damaged this way--it's
      very
      > easy to miss a potential snag or rip. Also, once occupied, the taut
      > hammock fabric is much more susceptible to punctures or tears--
      could it
      > have gotten caught on anything after you were inside, either this
      time
      > or a recent previous use? Did anyone else use your hammock--could
      they
      > have had a problem? When all else fails, blame it on the Mad
      Hammock
      > Slasher!
      >
      > I'm sure you're trying to think of every possible cause and may have
      > already considered the ones I mention above. Hopefully we can use
      your
      > episode as a learning experience--if you can only solve the
      > mystery....Ed

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245314.3072841.4397732.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17
      05
      > 065843:HM/A=1495890/R=0/*http://www.netbizideas.com/yheb42>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=245314.3072841.4397732.2848452/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1495890/rand=444711390>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic