9026Re: hammock weight vs tent

  • Eric Sandberg
    May 8, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > i`ve recently become addicted to hammock sleeping & i`m still
      > working on system variations (homemade) for differant temps
      expected
      > in NC mountians spring through fall. as money alows & i continue
      > read about differant options i`ll probably buy some of the great
      > sounding stuff i`ve been seeing on line. but i have a friend who`s
      > very interrested in the hammock, but wants to know how the weight
      of
      > hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in
      tent
      > or tarp.

      Slowhike,

      The full system I've been using weighs just under 4 lbs. It
      consists of an insulated hammock, my quilt, a bug net, and a tarp
      (also my poncho). This would replace a ground camper's tent,
      sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and rain suit. When I looked at
      Campmor, I couldn't have a set up for ground camping under 7 lbs.
      This is good to about 30 degrees. When I take off the bug net and
      add a Travel Sack (ala Rick), I've had it to 9 degrees (wearing
      shorts and a T shirt) and it still is only 4 lbs. People who say
      hammock camping is heavier haven't tried it.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic