900Re: Hammock Bivy

    Mar 20 10:22 AM
      Thanks for the photos Debra. Glad to hear of the success with your
      hammock bivy. As you suggest, a VB bag should solve the inside
      condensation problem--it will also add a few more degrees of
      warmth...Ed

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > I added 2 photos of the homemade hammock bivy (in this yahoo group
      > photo gallery). Weight of the bivy is about 20 oz. I slept in it
      > last night and it definitely adds 5-10 degrees of warmth to my
      > sleeping bag. Overnight temperature was 25F. I got frost on the
      > outside of the bivy and frozen condensation on the inside. I'll
      have
      > to remember to use a vapor barrier inside my bag next time.
      >
      > -DebW
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      > <dweisens@a...> wrote:
      > > Just finished sewing a hammock-compatible bivy sack. Goretex top
      and
      > > coated ripstop bottom with half-length zipper. I made it to use
      either
      > > on the ground or in a hammock. Both ends have 12 inch velcro slits
      > > through which the hammock ties can extent. I had to make the head
      end
      > > longer than necessary for ground use in order to clear the end of
      the
      > > hammock. Seems to add quite a bit of warmth while in the hammock.
      One
      > > could put insulation or extra clothes in the bottom portion under
      the
      > > hammock just like a Garlington Insulator. I've posted a picture on
      > > Sgt. Rock's site
      > > (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=528).
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic