8969Re: hammock weight vs tent

  • zippydooda
    May 4, 2005
      When you get people's answers, make sure you compare apples to
      apples. Mirage has given you the weight of a system that is good in
      blowing rain and even blowing sleet, and is also bug proof. The
      super UL guys will tend to quote stuff that is only good in certain
      very specific not-too-bad situations. Ryan Jordan's photos of his
      PCT hike were very illustrative as far as the level of comfort one
      might expect in a tarp/poncho type setup in the rain. He is much
      tougher than I am, smarter too, and better looking, so don't flame
      me, please, Ryan's friends.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mirage" <mirage@p...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "slowhike" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:
      > > <snip> addicted to hammock sleeping <snip> but i have a friend
      <snip>how the weight of a
      > > hammock sleep system compares to sleeping on a pad on ground in
      tent
      > > or tarp. <snip>
      > thanks...slowhike
      >
      > Slow,
      >
      > My system weighs in at 2lbs, 7.1oz (tarp, hammock, bugnet, straps,
      > stakes).
      >
      > http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/
      >
      > Add to that my down under/over quilt at 33oz.
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic