8912RE: [Hammock Camping] HH Questions

  • Shane Steinkamp
    May 1 6:59 PM
      > 1.Privacy/Tarp Size- The HH standard fly does not offer a ton of
      > privacy espcially in a tight group setting, which is how it will
      > be this summer, does anyone have any advice.

      This question of privacy comes up from time to time. Here's the standard
      response: First, you're in the middle of nowhere. Second, everybody knows
      what you've got. Just stand up and change your clothes.

      Like Marsanne said, "Nobody is looking at your titties in the woods, and if
      they are at your age, tell them, "Thank You!""

      If you are in a known group, you can always holler, "I'm takin' my pants
      down, and if ya'll don't want to be jealous, turn away."

      If you are in an unknown group, or maybe in the Scouts or something, then
      change your clothes where the latrine is. There must be some kind of
      privacy for that which isn't inside a small tent...

      Having said all that, I find that privacy in hammocks is better than in
      tents and regular tarps. Changing clothes while rolling around in a hammock
      is no harder than changing clothes while rolling around in a tent, and it's
      easier on the bones. In reality, though, it isn't necessary to roll around
      in the hammock to change clothes. It is better to stand inside the entrance
      slit of a HH, and enjoy a private dressing room. People can see my legs,
      and if they are very close they may be able to see through the bug netting,
      but for the most part there is total privacy.

      A user of any height can stand upright under the tarp (and inside the
      entrance slit on a HH). This isn't a tent with a fixed height. You can hang
      the hammock as high or as low as needed. Following the commonly recommended
      'chair height' would accommodate any user from about 4' 6" (1.37 m) to about
      6' 8" (2.03) - well within the range of a vast majority of the population.
      (As noted, I prefer to hang mine higher.) Persons beyond that range would
      have to adjust the height of the hammock accordingly.

      If the hammock is rockin', don't come a knockin'...

      > *On the topic of tarps, I am having a huge problem getting
      > the rainfly set up correctly, can anyone offer any advice, it
      > kept me dry in pouring rain, but water pooled in parts, I had it
      > as tensioned as it could go, hmm

      What model do you have?

      > 2.Storage, I looked at the plans for the smaller hammock, I have
      > a nylon parchute material hammock, Maybe I could rig it up under
      > there, I will take my hammock out in the backyard and play with
      > it more

      Bring two or three drum liners. Lay one on the ground. Put everything else
      inside one, and set it on the first one.

      > 3. When setting up my HH, I can never seem to get it level, I
      > read somewhere about someone using a tiny level on the ridgeline,
      > but I don't want to do that, any ideas or tips

      Practice, practice, practice.

      It doesn't have to be perfectly level. Most people like their head a little
      higher than their feet anyway.

      Shane
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic