8618Re: [Hammock Camping] Hang in the center?

  • David Chinell
    Apr 5, 2005
      You should always hang the center of the hammock slightly to
      the left of the line between the trees. Okay, just kidding
      about that.

      The only factor I'm aware of is this: With a perfectly
      horizontal and centered pitch, one tends to slip towards the
      foot of the hammock. This is because your torso is heavier
      than your legs (your center of gravity is above the midpoint
      of your body). Soooo. Some people advocate hanging the foot
      slightly higher than the head, to help counter this
      slippage. That would mean, I think, pitching the head closer
      to a tree than the foot, for trees with a lot of distance
      between them.

      But, as always, you have to experiment and determine your
      own rules of hangage.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic