8541Re: Alternative Hanging Methods?

  • Mirage
    Mar 22, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01" <jmellis01@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      > I've got a canoe trip down the Pecos in west Texas in May. I'd
      > love to hammock rather than be on the ground with the creepie
      > crawlies. Trees seem to be few and far between based on the photos
      > I've seen of the area. I'm not sure about boulders or rock
      > outcroppings I might be able to hang from. Any desert hammockers
      > out there have any ideas?
      > Worse comes to worse I can always rig it on the ground using
      > some stakes and a couple of paddles or hiking poles.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John

      John, with even one tree, and a paddle, you can hang a hammock. See
      Risk's page documenting this at
      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm

      I've done it with one tree and a 3" diameter branch I found. Others
      have used the door fram of a car as one of the anchor points.
      Experiment at home with material you might find on your trip.

      I've tried it with trekking poles, but even fully extended, they were
      too short to work for me. I used two poles at one end, in an inverted
      "v" or aframe with the handles lashed together with the hammock line,
      extending down to an anchor point. The other end was tied to a tree.
      There was alot of stress on the poles too, and I would not want to do
      this with expandable poles due to the risk of failure, either while
      sleeping, or on the trail. If you have a stout staff, I expect this
      would be more dual purpose.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic