8509Re: Word Wrap in message posts--Help

  • Ronald H Levine 566-2112 after 4 pm week
    Mar 18, 2005
      I have experimented and learned a few tricks
      that might help, but I don't know all of the
      answers.

      Tip #1

      I use Outlook Express and notice that posts
      really get jumbled up when I save them to my
      drafts and then put it back on my screen to work
      on later. There is some invisible character
      that gets put into the text that has the
      equivalent function of a carriage return key of
      a typewriter which I mention for lack of knowing
      a better way to describe it. That sets the
      amount of characters on a line which can be
      adjusted by going to tools then options then send then settings ...
      and when that combines with whatever Yahoo is doing it really gets
      jumbled up.

      Tip #2

      Under mail sending format for plain text I select 48 characters per
      line. This gives a narrow text width that doesn't compete with the
      advertisement space on upper right of the web viewed Yahoo page and
      results from my viewing perspective with unbroken text lines not
      chopped up by Yahoo.

      Tip #3

      Sometimes, I do want to post something that I have saved to drafts or
      have sent before or would otherwise be messed up with the invisible
      control characters that can really jumble things up especially if you
      do some editing and more saving, etc. To remove all of those
      undesired invisible control characters, I have found a free web tool
      that performs very well and in just three mouse clicks the text is
      cleaned up. Try it for yourself:

      Tip #4

      I have found that after the initial 15 lines of 48 character line
      width, I can go to wider and my text becomes the shape of Utah being
      notched out in the top right just right for Yahoo's advertisement.

      Conclusion:

      The above results in clean posts and this one is an example, but I
      would prefer to find a way without having to jump through hoops due
      to Yahoo creating line width issues with their advertisement insert
      without solving that problem. If anyone knows how to do better then
      I sure would like to know. I invested too much time in figuring this
      much out -- those big Yahoo bullies.

      How does this text look?

      Ronald H Levine
      Midvale, Utah