8446Re: Greetings!

  • Mirage
    Mar 7, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Jon Clarke
      <piperjon2000@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, all! I'm new here, and will be new to hammock
      > camping, but I'm no newbie to camping or hiking in
      > general. I live in Arkansas, which is a veritable
      > playground of outdoor experiences.

      Welcome PJ. I've spent some time in the area. My Grand folks lived
      in Kimberling City while I was growing up, and I spent time out on
      Table Rock Lake, and used to drive to a swimming hole across the
      border in Arkansas whenever we visited. Beautiful country.

      > My first (and most assuredly not last) question for
      > y'all is this: I'm looking to make a hammock for
      > camping. I'm good with a sewing machine, but I do
      > have two major obstacles. First off, the fabric
      > stores around here don't carrry things like ripstop,
      > cordura, etc. I'm looking for a good, inexpensive
      > place, presumably online, to shop.

      I have bought only from http://www.owfinc.com/, but had a great
      experience with them. I ordered sets of fabric, cording and fleece
      swatches from them first, and this helps alot with placing orders
      and selecting fabrics.

      Lots of folks find suitable fabrics at thier local WallMart. The
      ones near me are not big enough to carry fabrics, least wise not
      that I've found.

      > The bigger (no pun intended) obstacle is, well, my
      > size; I'm a big'n. I'm 6'1", and currently weigh in
      > at 278, and most assuredly, I''m *NOT* interested in a
      > fabric failure in the middle of a nice nite's snooze.
      > Any suggestions as to the quintessetial big-guy
      > hammock fabric?

      Ed Speer has published a book, "Hammock Camping"
      (http://hammockcamping.com) that has construction details, including
      how to measure the amount of fabric you'll need and what
      strength/weight fabric you'll require for your expected occupancy
      limits. He has much of this information published at the following
      link as well: http://hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm#Making

      > Looking forward to swingin' under the stars!
      > Pj

      Again, welcome to the group, and happy hanging...

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic