8441Re: Mirage...hammock and quilt length

  • Mirage
    Mar 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:

      > At this point, I haven't decided if I want to attempt an
      over/under quilt (i.e. peapod style),
      > or a dedicated underquilt (i.e. Canoeblue/Thru-hiker style) with a
      dedicated top quilt (did I
      > mention that I make a killer down quilt?).

      I had guessed that you were Howie of "Hungry Howie" fame ;)

      I actually built the canoeblue underquilt from the plans on thru-
      hiker first, but just couldn't leave well enough alone, and wanted
      an item more versitle (use it on the ground as a bag when trees
      aren't available or local regulations require shelter use or temps
      drop too low). So I kept experimenting and here we are today. This
      is fun stuff, even if it never "ends" ;)

      > This was also quite possibly the most claustrophobic night I've
      ever spent in my hammock,
      > and something I wanted to ask you about. When my alarm woke me
      up, I shot awake, and
      > was literally reaching for the outside of the hammock. I'm
      guessing this feeling is
      > lessened with the wider dimensions on your quilt, and narrower
      dimensions of your
      > hammock (I used a 60" wide hammock last night)? I've only felt
      the feeling of
      > clasutrophobia once or twice in my life before, so I'm just as apt
      to blame it on the cold
      > I'm trying to recover from as the dimensions of the hammock.

      I've not felt that, but with the velcor slit being on the top, just
      stretching in the morning wil readily crack open the quilt. I
      actually often sleep with it open about 1/3 of the way anyway,
      except on really cold nights.

      Bear in mind too, I live in a pretty temperate area (PNW) and don't
      get out in the hills much during the winter months.

      > Otherwise, do you care to speculate whether you'd need to create a
      longer quilt if you
      > went to a hammock that was 6" longer, or do you think that the
      same quilt dimensions
      > would suffice?

      Excelent point. My current 8' hammock was not my first. I don't
      have the measurements from my original speer hammock, but it was
      made from the instructions in his book, so we can probably figure it
      out.

      Also note that this quilt does rig well under my Hennessy Asym
      Backpacker. You do still need a top quilt, and I was trying to
      avoid that, so I have moved to the speer style and it's various
      derivatives (ala Risk and others).

      > The end of the bag (where it "cinched" around the end of the
      hammock did create a
      > trouble spot for drafts. I was able to stuff my large cotton
      storage sack that I carry
      > everything over to the woods in into the end of the hammock which
      kinda stopped the
      > draft, but I was wondering if you ever had a problem with that,
      how you stopped it if you
      > did, or whether your quilt was better at eliminating drafts at the
      ends.

      Yes, I have noticed this before, and like you, stuffed extra clothes
      down there (Frog Toggs in my case). It's only happened once or
      twice when it got really cold. Otherwise, it actually helps with
      ventilation a wee bit.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic