8432Re: follow-up on catenary cut hammock body

  • Jeremy
    Mar 1, 2005
      Ray,

      I'm just finishing a shorter hammock right now (8 feet long). While it's still 5 feet wide, I
      think I'll lay in it for a while, undo the whipping, and cut it down to 4 feet to see what
      happens.

      Even when pulling the last 2-3 inches before whipping, it's still limp along the edges. I
      think it may be due, at least in part, to the width of the fabric. I'll report back if and when
      I do cut it down.

      Right now, I'm thinking that if I do cut it down and the edges are still too floppy, I might
      cut catenary curves in the long sides to help tension it.

      I know what you mean about "pocket" os extra fabric with the Asym cut. It didn't occur to
      me until this morning that I experimented with something similar to that a while back.
      Instead of making it a curve, however, I symply cut the hammock body as a paralellogram.
      It did make the sleeping surface really flat, but it was uncomfortably flat. I abandond the
      idea after spending a night after the test in my pre-Asym HH UL Backpacker. So much
      more comfortable.

      -howie

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@y...> wrote:
      > I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52 inches. I
      > do not miss the extra fabric at all.

      > I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed end before
      > whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to pull taught when
      > occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut didn't help tighten
      > the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more noticeable
      > pockets of fabric at the foot and head.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic