8430Re: follow-up on catenary cut hammock body

  • Ray Garlington
    Mar 1 9:39 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy@j...> wrote:
      > I also would like to experiment with hammock width more.
      Currently, My hammock is 60"
      > wide (I used $1/yd 1.1oz rs from Wal*Mart, straight off of the
      bolt), but there's a ton of
      > space in that width that I can't use. I want to see how bringing
      that width down to 54
      > inches, and then to 48 inches will effect things.

      I can vouch for the change from 60 inches down to about 52 inches. I
      do not miss the extra fabric at all.

      >Particularly, I'd like to rid the edges of
      > "floppy" useless hammock fabric, which is where these catenary
      curves may come in to
      > play.

      I just pull out about 2 to 3 inches at the hemmed end before
      whipping. That allows the edge of the hammock to pull taught when
      occupied. My version of the asym, catenary cut didn't help tighten
      the floppy edges any. The asym cut did create more noticeable
      pockets of fabric at the foot and head.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic